2 questions about TV, VCR

khunsanuk

TV in Thailand is all PAL, but not just that it is PAL B/M. In the UK the system is also PAL, but PAL I. The diifference is technical, video bandwidth and sound carrier offset.

In the UK all tv is now on UHF, in Thailand most are on VHF, only iTv on UHF, I think.

Think you can buy those small tv's in Panthip plaza. They should certainly be fine.

M.

battery operable TV

If from the USA it is very unlikely to be multi system and the best you might do is receive b/w and probably unstable as PAL is expecting 25 frames and NTSC 30 frames per second. Another problem would be tuning in signal as they would not match. Not worth it IMHO.

Broadcast and cable systems here use PAL but most equipment above the cheapest is multi system so can be used to view any video tape but record only PAL.

My VCR is NTSC and works fine on most TV.. actually bought it here! The only problem is when you get an older non-multi TV and turns black and white. But the only problem you will have is not the Pal NTSC but the volatage of the VCR.. 220 vs 110 and will have to buy a transformer

If your Tv has the full range it should pick it up.. The frequencies can be a problem.. For example most TV in thailand can not pick up thai global (12666 MHz)

Take a look at other freq and see if you can pick them up.. Here is a link to all the TV stations in Thailand.. http://www.thaitvnetwork.com/superlink-eng.shtml

My VCR is NTSC and works fine on most TV

I assume you bought in Thailand when you say 'here'? And that it works fine for playing NTSC tapes as long as the TV can adjust to NTSC? So it is fine for your use.

But what about recording local TV? Playing most local or European tapes? We don't know what P127 is intending but if he plans to use for either of the above he should probably buy a local multi-system VCR.

The VCR question was about transferring a tape for viewing there, as i already have the equipment in Pattaya. thanks for the info, nonetheless. I may travel a lot with the GF, and I am tired of spending 2 or 300 bahts more because she wants TV in room. So, I thought a small one may help a bit. I called her yesterday and she said no problem if no TV in room. Hum... We shall see!

Archived