book on morlam!!

thai3

Had an email from an issan university today informing me of a book on morlam cing which is now in the shops, sounds like a fairly accademic work but it's the only book on morlam I have ever heard of. They write:

Malum CIng Isan: Bodies and Voices in a Modernized Performing Art from Northeast Thailand". Its

Thai title is simply "Khon Cing Isan." By the way, Cing stems from an

English term "racing," popularizing from the car racing and the fast-track for

Thai economic development in late 1980s.

Lets hope it has some pics in, price 250 baht-peter

yes I'm afraid it is in thai, from the preface:

' Researchers have spent more than 12 months conducting fieldwork in the communities of Morlam Cing in khon kaen and mahasaraham. The research team observed more than 20 concerts and interviewed more than 100 morlam masters,teachers,singers,musicians, dancers and business agents and carried out an intensive archival research concerning this popular folk performance in a number of leading university libraries

This updated version of morlam reflects voices of hope,frustration,imagination,and real-life drama, which constitute eventful themes in the lives and communities of migrant workers, rural villagers,and the urban working class. In addition, this research project portrays the morlam cing and it's multi dimensional discourses as articulated signs of cultural contests juxtaposing to the official hegemony of folk cultural conservatism'

And here's me thinking cing was just a guy and gal singing mostly rude songs!-peter

Archived