Are TGs mentally damaged by Prostitution?

In my first few months here, I got friendly with several BGs. Since then, I have stopped getting to know them for longer than a few hours (and probably will refrain from doing even that in future). The reason? Because of those I did get to know, I could see that they have a warm isaan heart, but it was buried a long way beneath a lot of dead wood, materialism, and general hardness (in comparison to non BGs). These are the characteristics necessary for them to operate in their chosen environment, but it seems to have destroyed their true, genuinely warm personality. I don't know if the damage is permanent.

Everybody knows that paedophilia mentally scars children, and it is therefore illegal. Prostitution is also illegal in most of the world. Is that for the same reason?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont thinkfor a moment they are all like as you describe.

the desire to earn money for themselves and or family up north is what drives them mentally to do the job they know will get what they need.

many are quiet funny and very entertaining to talk with.

however having said that i know my MP girl can become very shallow and bad tempered if she hasn't had ya baa this may also explaine some of the girls you mentioned.

The sex act to her is just that,i dont think that alone will damage the girls mentally.

Depends on the girl - having lived here a while now I can see many girls who are totally fucked over by the scene, and also become "Battle Hardened".

WHile they may seen that they can handle it - what can they do as they get older - they ask themselves this question!

Others are fine - Many many different stories - different strokes for different folks.

Some make it - some die

For many girls its a huge step to prostitute themselves in a society which looks down on that behaviour. Even though there is a lot of prostitution in Thailand, its not approved of as a line of work.

Of course this affects the girls. Added to this comes whatever they might come across in their line of work, abuse, drunken slobs, venerial diseases and so on.

Torneyboy mentioned Ya baa. Some do turn to this AFTER entering the scene. Alcoholics and drug addicts are all over.

Take an innocent girl from Isaan and put her into all this, and she will change fast. It takes a strong person to go through this scene unharmed mentally.

The happy hooker myth might be true in some cases, but its wastly overrated on this board!

Cheers!

It can mentally damage us (the punters) as well if you let it. ::

Many of these girls do have a certain mental toughness that will protect their true self.

Having gotten to know many BG's over the past several years. Yes, there are those who "loose it" (due to drugs) but most return to their homes up country and go on with their lives.

Yes, this is a job to many of them and you will find that the larger percentage of them have this approach to what they do.

Hi!

Good post for discussion.

Well, I've been here a while and I've got to know quite a few working girls, especially from the Sukhumvit/PP area. I'm no longer surprised to learn when they have mental issues. Very few truly 'happy whores' around, in my opinion. Many of the girls in fact come from quite rough backgrounds; split families, kids on their own, no father, no husband etc. Some of these girls probably would never taken the step into prostitution if it wasn't for their background history (on an emotional and socio-economic level). Others, most likely, don't fare well 'cause of the business they've choosen to participate in. As anyone should be able to figure out, the bar environment in many cases really isn't such a rosy place. Behind the smiles there's a lot of shit going on. Drugs, theft, money pressure. Bullshit farangs and bullshit Thais. Limited future possibilites; a condescending view from general Thai society, their own family, village community and 'mainstream' friends. General desperation is not uncommon. Some girls are bound to break.

Sex alone probably won't damage anyone -- but sex on a daily basis, sometimes repeatedly, with complete strangers? I don't know...

I'm not saying all girls are nuts in the nightlife industry. It's just that there's a lot of damaged porcelain out there. Among them there are surely some sweethearts, a few unpolished diamonds -- and a couple real gems too, of course.

Straycat

P.S. Closed thread by tomorrow? :)

Hi smeg,

I think it must be different for different girls. To generalise though, I think it does have an effect but not totally permanently. What I mean by that is that all experiences affect us for the rest of our lives in big or small ways. Once I had actually eaten sheeps brains in Beirut, I know I will never try it again.

If the girl has been working for a long time, that must be more damaging. If longer she has been away from it, the more the damage wears off but it will never go away totally. the experience will always be there.

I guess it is possible that it could have a positive impact in some circumstances.

Khwai

Archived