How many know the names of the Thai Months?

Pescator

Although I wouldn`t claim that your knowing or not knowing the actual names of the months in thai is an indication of your command of the language, I just wondered how many in here are actually capable of using the names confidently?

I could have posted this as a poll, but I don`t recall seing many of the regular posters on this board in the poll section.

There could be a number of reasons why you don`t know these names as you can get along with just saying Deuan 1 etc. In fact I know a couple of thais who use this designation ::

The only reason why I know these is my language teacher. She was a cute little thing weighing a mere 80 lbs, but I had great respect for her in spite of her tiny frame because she was a very strict teacher.

And during one of her lessons she announced that "for the next lesson you`ll learn the names of the months".

Every time I failed her expectations she would look at me with that look reserved for a retard (so it seemed to me anyway) so she really made me work hard.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer your question I know them all, I think. Some spring to the tip of the tongue more easily than others, of course.

But I'm more curious as to how you know your teacher weighs 80lbs. Do you actually weigh your teachers? Is that a requirement you have when you hire them? I'm just imagining you patiently explaining it to them as you get a set of scales out of your suitcase..

Well, it was an estimate. ::

I just found it kinda funny that I could have so much respect for such a tiny person who probably weighed much less than half my weight and stood some 40 cm shorter and being probably 15 years my junior. :)

She would usually place a fan on my table, aiming it directly at me and switch it on the highest speed "to cool my brain" as she put it, because I was often sweating like a pig because I didn`t live up to her expectations.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

It was one othe last 'basic knowledge' things I mastered. Hell I could name 60 out of the 76 provinces without raising a sweat but still have to take a minute to think of what this month is. Usually I know the present month and the coming and past month but if you got me to sit down and say them in order without first translating from English - forget it.

I really learnt them piecemeal here's how I remembered them

Mituna (June) my birth month

Singha (August) reminds me of beer

Mina (March)

Mesa (April) easy to remember but I forget which one's which

Tula(October) 14 Tula the October Student Uprising

Gratakata (July) I like the way it sounds, like an African headhunter tribe

Tanwa (Dec) Again- easy to remember

Gumpa (Feb) It was month I first left Thailand in.

Weird huh?

Archived