How many know the names of the Thai Months?

Pescator

Yes, deuan Singha has a good ring to it :)

Most seem to recall that one.

My wife has a couple of thai friends who are very poorly educated, in fact they are both illiterates and one of them doesn`t know for sure the names of the months so she just uses the deuan 1 etc. designation.

So you are not alone out there.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

PS What is the meaning of your handle if you don`t mind me asking?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learnt this in my first month in LOS. As well as the days of the week and the numbers.

Just the basic stuff,

Wauw. Learnt that during your first month in LOS.

You`re a serious student indeed! :)

I think I learnt that during my second year in LOS!

Well, I do agree that learning the numerals, days of the week and being able to tell the time is basic stuff and absolutely essential, learning the names of the months is not absolutely essential and I guess many would skip that at first in order to prioritize building a decent vocabulary instead.

I found it pretty hard to learn them especially compared to learning them in most westeuropean languages as they have a common origin. So they come pretty easy but when learning thai there are very few "free rides".

Cheers

Hua Nguu

I was indeed a serious student in my first year in LOS.

After that I lost that motivation I once had. Now I just try to talk to Thai people without looking into books (too lazy).

In my first year I made a little book for myself with about 2000 words ENG-THAI. I wanted to have a nice vocabulary before starting to make sentences. It's getting better every day now.

I thought it would be easier to know many words before beginning with the sentences.

I found out it sure is, it just requires a lot of motivation and study hours.

Hi Hua Nguu,

Pharcyde is the name of a favourite rap-band of mine. They did a classic album, if I remember I think it was in 1992 or something. The name of the album is "Bizarre-ride to to the Pharcyde". Pharcyde=far side (the other side)...

...Im not old enough to classify myself as "Hua Nguu" yet... ;)

Cheers,

Pharcyde

Hi Pharcyde.

All right. I tried to look the word up in the dictionary, but it wasn`t there. That just made me wonder if it had a meaning. Thanks for the clarification.

The label Hua Nguu has really no age affixed to it, you are perfectly able to be a Hua Nguu although you are only 20 years old.

I guess you are thinking of the similar expression Tao Hua Nguu = dirty old man.

Well, either way being 41 years I can probably be classified as both. ::

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Don't know what's so apecial about knowing the months.

If you hear isarn people use numbers instead of the actual name, the number may not coincide with what you think.

With the may vs november confusion it's easy to differ them since may has 31 days and thus has kom at the end of the name and all 30 days month have jun or yon at the end of their name with february having pan at the end of it's name.

So may would be pussapa kom

november is pusachika jun and february is kumpa pan.

Cheers,

Limbo

Archived