How many know the names of the Thai Months?

Pescator

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you hear isarn people use numbers instead of the actual name, the number may not coincide with what you think.

I totally agree with you about that,

If you are not using the months names and only the numbers it is going to get you and the people you are talking to very confused,

It is difficult to explain as the Thai's use the Gregorian calendar months as well as lunar months, and Chinese and Muslim calendar months as well just to make it really confusing,

Depending on the area you are living, if the phases of the moon are used then the months are out of sink, The whole thing gets right of track if you just use numbers as in many cases you will be a few months out to the actual month you meant.

Its like telling the time as well its totally different how the time is spoken in different areas of Thailand so you have to be careful with what system is being used otherwise the Thai's might misunderstand you and be late arriving :)

Another moon phase system that goes in 15 day cycles is used by many villages, fisherman, farmers and others who lives depend on living on the land or needing to know the sea tides, This one is great to know if you live near the beach especially if its a very tidal beach, or you are a farmer and want to know when the moon is up or down, If you ask many villagers what day it is or what month it is they do not know that, but they can tell what number of the moon cycle it is.

Its like telling the time as well its totally different how the time is spoken in different areas of Thailand so you have to be careful with what system is being used otherwise the Thai's might misunderstand you and be late arriving

Luckily you put a smiley there. If this was the only reason them being late.............

Cheers,

Limbo

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I`ll tell you since you don`t seem to know :)

1) The words have nothing in common with the names you are used to in european languages where they are pretty similar. So there is no free rides here.

2) They are pretty long and complicated and additionally of Pali origin.

3) Even though you speak thai pretty well, it will not help you much in this context as they are of pali origin as with most multisyllabic words in thai.

If you hear isarn people use numbers instead of the actual name, the number may not coincide with what you think

Well that would depend on what I think now wouldn`t it?

That would also depend on what part of Isarn we are talking about and whether it is an urban area, whether the people are well educated or Baan Nork, what etnic group the people belong to etc.

The isarn is not the homogeneous area/people you think it is.

By the way this phenomena is not just an Isarn one you will experience that in many areas of Thailand.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

I had some time to kill on a long bus trip a year or so ago. Just memorized the words by brute force - using whatever association I could grab onto. Kept repeating in sequence until I could do it without looking at my cheat sheet and without hesitation. Took about an hour. Of course some of the months leaked out my ears over the next hour, and again while I was sleeping that night, so had so review a bit a few times. Stuck ever since, but sometimes some of the months take a few seconds to recall.

This brute force technique of learning groups of related words works great with things like numbers, parts of the body, etc... too.

• 8 years later...

Jeezus, bitches, if you've lived in Thailand longer than six months and you DON'T know the names of the Thai months, then you're pretty much a pathetic piece of shit, aren't you?

C'mon, man up, all you conservative right-wingers who make up the majority of the Thai 360 cabal...if a Thai (or any other nationality) came to live in YOUR country and didn't know the names of the months after 6 months of residency, you'd be hollering at the top of your right-wing bitch lungs for their deportation...now FUCKING wouldn't you?!?!

Hi,

While I don't particular like your tone, I do agree with you on this point. I find it very hard to understand that so many people living here don't even try to learn the language. Speaking Thai makes lives a LOT easier / interesting.

And that excuse of "It's too difficult" is BULLSHIT. My wife has been to Holland 4 times for a total of perhaps 2 months and learned about 30-40 words of Dutch in that time. Anyone living in Thailand should be able to pick up at least that much in 2 months.

Worst I came across was a guy who had been living here for 18 years and spoke only 3!!! words of Thai.

Sanuk!

Archived