How many know the names of the Thai Months?

Pescator

Nothing like reviving a 9-year-old thread just to slag people off over their politics. The lefties I know here speak no more Thai than the righties do. :hmmm:

I cannot understand how anyone could live in a country and not want to learn at least the survival level of the language. I feel a bit uncomfortable just visiting a country where I cannot do simple things like order a meal or go shopping. :dunno:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An English teacher in the USA told me that there are 100 words that are used (approx?) in like 90% of our conversations...some numbers like that...in any event, learn the 100 words (me thinks maybe 200 ~ 300 is better) and you have a good start on the language :dunno:

Not so difficult and will give some good results.

Peace Corps hit us hard with Thai - 6 hours a day, 6 days a week for the first few weeks. But it was all practical. When we would meet Thais on the streets, they always wanted to talk to the Farangs ... and just about everything they asked us was what we had studied in the classroom. - What is your name? Where are you from? What you you doing here? How do you like Thai food? etc.

We could buy our own meals, buy clothes, buy a bus or train ticket, get a hotel room ... everything we needed to survive. And we could do that after less than one month in country. Some vols weren't interested enough to go beyond that level, but most of us did. Being able to get around in the language made Thailand a very different country for us, especially once we started reading Thai.

I would say one could do fairly well with a vocabulary of not much more than 500 words. You'd sound pretty crude, but you'd be understood.

Archived