Panthip Plaza

Hardy641

Panthip has been desolate the whole last week.. and it's not the the normal 'cannot sell, the police are near' thing but the shops are closed and the shelves are cleaned empty. Of course all the computer hardware still exists as do the few shops with legitimate software but the rest is gone! For how long I wonder? Well, according to my g/f's father who is involved in this as an enforcer, a long time. She'd actually told me last year that this year as of Jan 1st there was going to be serious crackdown of all copyrighted software and music. There has been a lot of pressure from national and multi-national companies being put on the government. And, it apparantly isn't going to be the normal 'take it out of sight for a while until it cools' thing. It's said that it will be long lasting. Apparantly they are very serious about it and have a specially assembled police task-force working on enforcing this in times to come.

Ok, we may lose Panthip (let's hope not) but the reality is that Thais cannot afford to buy original software or foreign music CD's so there will always be another outlet, probably more at street level.

Personally I love Panthip Plaza and hope the place stays!

This must be a relatively recent happening. I visited Panthip Plaza several times during late January - early February and it was business as usual!

Unless Microsoft has very recently started selling Windows '98 Second Edition for 130 baht, the copy of this and several other titles I purchased from the various stalls within the above establishment must have been counterfeit. Incidentally, the titles I purchased all work as expected. This message is written with a computer I installed the counterfeit copy of Windows '98 into.

While a small number of stalls were closed, the large majority is alive and kicking.

Not by any means disputing the word of another board member, jusy offering information obtained during a very recent 10 day visit to The Kingdom.

Cheers,

Archived