Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Sri Lankans

gobbledonk

Guest lazyphil

<<if only the terrorists were half as visible as Hitler's forces were in 1939 ... >>

Sure, but what has that got to do with South Asian immigration to the UK???

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your right there are a couple of Aussie enclaves in London Earls Court historically was and now Shepherds Bush is emerging as an antipodian stronghold.

Although, the job market is pretty bad now I think I lot of Aussies are struggling especially those who come over with limited funds and expect to get work within a week.

STH

Guest lazyphil

The below isn't your fault or any Australian, however I find it incredulous to think some Australians are whinging about Afghan immigrants and putting them in what are effectivly prisons and then I read this about native Australians. I hear English people coming back home from holidays down under laughing about the drunk 'Abbo's' sitting around annoying honest hardworking WHITE Aussies. Does Oz have a Nelson Mandella or Martin L. King type of figure here? Looks to me they need one.

I have no beef with Aussies and I dont read the Guardian (lefty newspaper) but I just get very confused at HUGE double standards.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/2568521.stm[/url]

Australia's High Court has rejected an appeal by an indigenous group for possession of a vast swathe of land, ending the country's longest-running aboriginal land dispute.

The Yorta Yorta people had claimed traditional ownership of more than 2,000 square kilometres (770 square miles) of territory on the border of New South Wales and Victoria.

The High Court in Canberra on Thursday upheld a ruling that the "tide of history" had washed away their claim to the land, near Echuca, on Murray River.

A panel of judges found representatives from the Yorta Yorta failed to demonstrate they had traditional claims to the land.

The court decided the Yorta Yorta tribe had lost its character as a traditional community after European settlement in 1788.

Landmark case

Chief Justice Murray Gleeson said the group had failed to meet any of the requirements set out in the 1993 Native Title Act. It states that traditional customs must be "substantially uninterrupted" for a case to succeed and the claimants to prove a deep connection to the land.

Last year, the Federal Court found the Yorta Yorta's relationship with the land had been broken over time. The High Court's decision to uphold that ruling is seen as a test case for many other native title claims around Australia.

The Yorta Yorta people said that justice had failed them and promised to fight on. Their lawyers insisted the decision of the judges was racist and pitiless and had not taken indigenous heritage into consideration.

The ruling from Australia's highest court ends an eight-year battle estimated to have cost more than $10m (A$20m). Evidence against the aboriginal claim included written accounts suggesting their ancestors had lost their land and ceased to practise their traditions by the 1880s.

The federal government had opposed the native title claim along with its state counterparts in Victoria and New South Wales.

re double standards

Many Australians are fed up with all the court cases costing millions on land grabs by aboriginal people..money better spent on water to our farmers etc.

They get lots of funding for houses and education,but most buy booze and yes as mentioned get drunk and annoy anyone in reach.

There is also many in well paid professions and do good for themselves and the aboriginal people.

re boat people afghans and many others.

People object to to them all as it is seen as que jumping and most have no papers to prove from whence they came.

So the long wait for approval or send back to where they came from is seen by many as justice.

STH,

The issue of Aboriginal Land Rights is a bit of a nightmare, but its not limited to our country. Ask any Pakeha in NZ and you'll get some idea of how divisive the issue can be for a society. The big difference is that the Maori were able to force the British to sign a treaty, and they remain a large and visibile segment of the Kiwi population today. Aboriginals, with a few notable exceptions, are a largely silent minority here in Oz.

Aboriginal people didnt have the same concept of 'ownership' that Europeans do - they saw themselves as custodians of their territory, but were largely powerless to resist the arrival of white settlement. What followed could best be described as 'genocide' : poisoned water holes, blacks shot like roos etc. Much of the land rights issue has surfaced in the last 25 years, and is an attempt to redress the balance and ease the troubled consciences of liberal whites, amny of whom would never consider living in the same suburb as an Aboriginal person, much less next door to one.

That said, social problems in aboriginal communities are a national disgrace. Alcohol, substance abuse, domestic violence, incest : its pretty much a trailer park life for many of these people, and the cycle shows little sign of abating. If you grow up in a community where you dont know a single person who has a job, what motivation is there for you to find one ?

Noel Pearson, arguably the most capable and articulate campaigner for Aboriginal rights in this country, feels that it is too late for the current generation, and I have to agree with him. When a man like Pearson is able to acknowledge that many of his own people are 'parasites', I sit up and take notice. The PC line is never this blunt, and the PC solutions have been dismal failures.

There is an entrenched and powerful welfare industry built around the status quo in this country, particularly where aboriginal people are concerned. Attempts by Pearson and a consortium of successful (and surprisingly altruisitic) businesspeople to kickstart a scheme to get young Aboriginal offenders into the work 'habit' , and out of harmful environments, has met with stiff opposition from the very people who are supposed to be helping them. Breaking the cycle is a threat to their safe paper-shuffling jobs, and the massive budget that we white Australians throw at Aboriginal issues in the hope that they will simply 'go away' ...

Good luck, Noel.

Archived