Aie, aie, aie, my english in LOS!!!

pattaya127

Mind you, it's not just about the locals, my condo has all kind of foreigners only dabbling in english, and this, added to so much of the talk with my TGF, is regularly dropping my level of the language to abysmal depth. Gone are the articles, half of the words are spoken twice (ex: same same), and a few other improprieties to add. I know some friends refuse to alter their english when visiting a country where they deal with english spoken very imperfectly, I pretty much naturally stoop down to the level of my "vis-a-vis". How are you guys handling this?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I speak slightly more slowly, use more common words and avoid using idioms.

How about the newly expanded EU? If there were ever a case for introducing a common language (i.e. English), then this is surely it. The fact that it won't happen shows the EU for the self-interested French/German charade it is. Imagine a fucking EU army in the heat of battle..

As an English teacher I would implore you to maintain a reasonable level of English, everytime I see someone talking to a Thai in English with dropped articles and everything in present tense (You go yesterday?) I feel like ripping their tongue out. All this does is reinforce Bad English and makes it really hard to 'unlearn'

In class I speak English ALL the time, even with very weak students, they need all the practice they can get. The tricks I use are, Speak clearly (as opposed to slowly), use simple structues ("are you going to the shop today" rather than "Is it possible that you intend to visit a retail outlet in the near future, or not.)" and repeat, simplifying it as you repeat.

Good Luck

I agree totally with Markle.

Much of the broken English banter you hear from Thais is based on bad example from us. I too am guilty of it at times...I understand that for immediate and practical conversation it could help to modify your speech to get yourself understood but it really is counterproductive to them learning the language well. Having said this though, Thais will naturally apply Thai grammar rules to English and this will often result in a sentence such as 'yesterday, you go why?', but it doesn't help when we emmulate their own style of incorrect English. It's up to us to model it correctly. No grammar lesson is needed, just an example of correct English and they will catch on.

The amount of times I've heard articulate speaking foreigners saying things like 'he have many problem' and 'I go see friend me?' is irritating to say the least. And as Markle said, keep it simple and concise but with correct grammar.

Cheers,

FF

Yep. If you've ever tried to learn a foreign language then you can appreciate the problems they might be having. E.g. not catching everything first time, being confused by some unusual pieces of vocabulary, etc.

It really bothers me to think that Thais may be employing a dialect of "baby Thai" with me!

Well, anyone who knows me knows I'm rather pedantic about the English language, especially the written form. However, when in LOS I find myself becoming quite comfortable with the pidgin variety.

I really tried the "proper" way. Honest! But when I used prepositions, articles, plurals, etc., in my conversations with the average b/g, I may as well have been talking to the wall. Statements like "That man is wearing a shirt just like mine," for instance, were almost unintelligeble. However, no problem with an abortion such as "Man have shirt same-same me."

Anyway, realizing that the object of language is communication, and realizing that I wasn't communicating, I surrendered peacefully :) If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Now it's "Me come Bangkok yesterday. No hab lady Thailand. You come my loom?"

I know, I know. I hate myself!

PhordPhan

:o :o :o

I do agree with you and friendlyfriend.

However, sometimes I meet farangs, they tend to use broken English with me because they don't know my English ability. And the way they speak I know they are immitating bg's English ! And they way they try to speak Thai, I also realise that they learn it from the bar scene.

Talking about showing off their Thai skill.

Of course they don't care.

But one of them happens to be a uni lecturer.

:eek:

:D

[color:"blue"]And the way they speak I know they are immitating bg's English![/color]

Do you know what? The state of English ability in Thailand is quite sad. In fact many BG:s, especially the ones that've spent time abroad, speak much better English than many educated Thais. Not that I've ever set foot at present day Chulalongkorn University -- but that's at least my impression from knowing people from all walks of life in Thailand.

I would not draw the conclusion that 'Thai-English' is picked up from BG's alone. It's simply necessary to use for communication all over Thailand, especially when your new to the country.

I used to speak 'Thai-English' but I've changed. Now, I try Thai first. If that's not understood (which happens quite often :)), I switch to 'normal' English, if that's not understood I use a simplified version of English with Thai pronounciation (for example 'corruptiON', 'world trade cenTER'.)

> In fact many BG:s, especially the ones that've spent time abroad, speak much better English than many educated Thais.<

You said it yourself. Because they have spent some times abroad they speak better English. But then again it depends on the definition of better. Is it more fluently or gramatically correct. I've found that many prostitutes/bgs speak fluently with broken English, esp. the ones who have been abroad. But some educated (say, uni grad) Thais may speak slowly but more gramatically correct English. I've found that the educated group is afraid to make mistakes so they tend to think and construct their sentences first before they speak. Nontheless, they still make mistake :D I was like that but then I just don't care anymore if I make a mistake. Feel a lot better. Hey, this is not my mother tougue. Just keep perfecting it everyday.

>Not that I've ever set foot at present day Chulalongkorn University -- but that's at least my impression from knowing people from all walks of life in Thailand.<

I suggest you go to Chula book store and get chatted up to some of the CU students there. Who knows what might turn out from the "language survey" :p

BTW, I like you approach of how to communicate with the Thais.

Cheers,

Archived