Name of extremely loud insect?

Pescator

Fascinating! Thanks for the links. Whoda thunk it?

The US crickets seem to have a different, somewhat milder more "chirpy" sound. The US cicadas that I've heard don't seem to be as "harsh" sounding, but loud nevertheless.

Flesh-eating snails?? Ewwww! Perhaps The Gastropod From 20,000 Fathoms?? ::

PhordPhan

:: :cussing:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That guys site still blows me away - when I see someone put so much passion into a webpage, and lay it out so well, it makes me forget the thousands of pages which are such a waste of time and bandwidth.

Some businesses are the worst offenders in this regard - millions of dollars spent on marketing and, seemingly, hundreds of dollars on their web presence.

Says jasmine:

They are the chakkachan all right. I actually like them, there are a few here (WV, USA) in summer. The reason I like them is because they remind me of my childhood. Growing up in the North of Thailand, when we heard thiese insects, it meant the school year was ending and I could go to many places on vacation and did not have to study much.

Aren't they called 'Jee Kung' in the North?? Or is that a different beast? ;-)

Says jasmine:

Some Thais in the North eat them, I tried when I was little but insects and bugs are not for me.

Absolutely they eat them.. They're pretty good actually. They're on the menu at quite a few Northern restuarants. I don't think Jee Kung qualify as bugs though. A bug is a bug, a Jee Kung is a chicada. ;-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Says artiew:

Chanchao.

I know its a cultural thing, but anything that appears on my plate and is called a 'bug' had better be a 'Balmain' or 'Moreton Bay' Bug (shellfish that resemble the trilobyte)
:)
Mmmm, I could really handle a couple of Moreton Bay's finest right now ....

Or Horseshoe Crab (Maeng Daa Thalay) for that matter.. Those creatures look pretty ancient as well. Available at most Thai seafood restaurants..

Cheers,

Chanchao

• 1 year later...

Last year was the first time I had stayed so late, so long to have so strong memory of Cicada's. I expect it will stay with me long though, Every night for five weeks they were a par of daily rhythmn's. And the local bar owner went out of his way to capture a few so the ferang could understand.

Wish I had something unique to offer but I'm drawing a blank I think.

Mind you the diversity of life in tropical climes can be astonishing. So while I'm babling endlesly I will mention that after the Cicada experience in Rayong, I located to BKK and found a nice appartment. Outside my window an open lot at the begining of the rainy season and throughout was home to so many frogs that it would keep you awake if you hadn't been into the bottles.

Regionally it might be possible that there are other species; like tree frogs with varying types of song?

Guest lazyphil

<<OK, so we've got flesh-eating slugs that make an horrendous noise all night long>>

You're kidding right?--How can a slug make any noise?? ::

Archived