$100,000 U.S. dollars enough?

You would more than likely get more dedicated and thoughtful responses if this was in the finance section.

There are a few threads there already that address how much could be enough to live in Thailand.

IMO you have enough to attempt to start a new life in Thailand but not nearly enough to "retire" to Western standards, unless you are 75 years old. I think the ideal number is more in the US $350,000+ range for someone in their late 40's and no responsibilities.

You have to provide some more info if you want a serious or detailed analysis such as age, health, future plans and goals, lifestyle, liabilities, responsibilities, exit strategies, etc.

I think if you add a zero to your figure, you can probably do. Your figure is what i have set away for a house (in her name of course).

My retirement figure is based on living (western living) off interest without touching capital which would include supporting a thai wife (reasonable). Any kid additions change that number upward dramatically. I am 44 years old.

The more important number is your monthly income figure. Determine that first and then any future lump sum costs (dowry, house, car, wedding ring, vacations, emergency health fund, etc).

The worst thing to do here is to come over here and learn you miscalculated your costs. I have seen too many guys becoming frustrated because they prematuely left they careers/jobs before they were financially solvent to do so.

I am sorry if this offends anyone but the greatest fools are the ones who based their retirement on current stock owned. Unless you are a huge stock investor with millions, don't calculate any stock value into income money. My stock investments are only for growth (or lost like the last three years!). Income needs to be stable, regular, low-risk investments like money markets, bonds, rental property income, etc).

The bottom line and my advice is DON'T SPEND YOUR CAPITAL! for your montly income needs.

Cardinalblue

As others have said, your question cannot be answered without more information. The lifestyle you choose will make all the difference.

100,000 U.S. is about 4 million baht. This is a sum a Thai retiree could live on forever, but for a falang it won't be so easy. Supplementing your egg with teaching will help, but it all comes down to how much of a western style home and hearth you're looking for, and how often you plan to troll down soi 8.

You can get a decent apt for 15,000 a month fairly close to downtown. Decent is in the eye of the beholder, though, and I know several older people who don't agree with decent until they're in the 30,000 bht range. Of course, these numbers will change with the neighborhood.

A westerner should be able to make it fairly pleasantly on 50k a month if he's alone and not one of those 30k apt guys. This would mean 600k a year, or that you'd have about 6-7 years before the 4 million would be history. (Don't forget that you'll want the occasional trip home or elsewhere which can be extremely pricey as well)

Another option would be to buy a house. I've seen ads for beautiful new 2 story 4 bedroom homes for about 28K U.S. $ out in Rangsit. Buy one of those and you've got the plush homelife and you can forget the monthly rent, but it's a bit of a trek to Sukhomvit (although the expressway is a good option)

Of course, your money should be working for you. If you can shove most of that 100k in a high interest account then might almost be able to live off the interest (assuming you're doing the teaching) Figure 25k baht in interest and 25k teaching (4 hours a day, six days a week at AUA) and you could survive indefinately. But did you really want to work 6 days a week on your retirement???

So, yes, it's doable, probably would be better if you had twice the money to start with, but mostly depends on the lifestyle you plan to lead. Good luck in any case, and don't be afraid to ask for help should you take the plunge.

I think if you add a zero to your figure, you can probably do

wow thats 40 000 baht per month for 100 or so years or better still more than what the average Australian will earn in a life time, some of you guys must realy be living the high life if thats how much you need to retiere ! let alone retiere in Thailand, But hey I like beer not DOM and ill eat Thai not Caviar but each to there own. :p

I agree, Bakkabon. I'd be keen to know exactly how many board members have seen, or will see, $US1 million in their personal bank accounts. At the height of the dotcom madness it may have been possible to turn a relatively small amount into that figure in a short time, but how many knew when to get out ?

Superannuation ? Perhaps in better times, but I dont know of too many funds that are doing well in the current climate. Add to that the fortunes of small businesspeople, and I suspect that retirement is still a fair distance off for many of us.

I think we have a different mindset to this financial thing. My goal is not to dwindle my acccount to nothing at the time of my death. My personal goal is to be able to leave my net worth to my wife if i get one or my sisters or maybe even a worthwhile charity. That has yet to be played out. .....

Even in retirement, my goal is continue to add to my worth not to erode it. I have interest budgeted 100,000 baht a month but to live more comfortable in the anticipation of supporting a wife, $3,000 US a month I see as more reasonable. Again, every lifestyle is different and everyone has different needs.

One must choose unfortuantely between making money or enjoying life. So often these are incompatible. Though for some making money is enjoying life. I am not one of those types. The trick is to try to make ends meet and enjoy life concurrently......

cardinalblue

Archived