Password protect computer?

Stickman

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With XP, it's simply a matter of right clicking on a drive or folder or a number of files, selecting 'Properties' and then 'Advanced' from the 'General' tab. You'll have to have at least one user set up and I don't think it'll hide the items, just deny access to other users. Btw, I wouldn't blithely encrypt the entire hard drive if I were you - it'll tend to slow things down!

There's loads of encryption freeware out there. Check out www.tucows.com. I like Dekart Private Disk Lite. It allows you create a virtual drive out of any nondescript file. E.g. You can call a big file "oldgame.exe" so it looks innocent but meanwhile it can really be hiding a whole drive's worth of encrypted data.

And if you're a digital camera buff worried about customs examining your photos, try looking up 'steganography'. ;)

I use a freeware utility called E4M, that was written for Windows NT. I run it under XP, where it picks up a funny behavior. After you dismount the disk, you can still see it/access it until you restart or reboot. I don't consider it a real problem.

It was written several years ago and is no longer supported, but you should be able to get a copy of it on the web somewhere. If not, PM me and I'll e-mail it to you're private ID.

As long as you don't Share your Personal Folders in XP, noone can browse it by logging in with a different account.

So, a "pretty good privacy" would be if you have one account for each user, always log out when finished with work, and have your Personal Folders encrypted by XP encryption. Of course when you forget to log out inbetween sessions ......

Sunny

Hi!

You're probably right, I haven't bothered much with hardware lately. However in the pre plug'n pray days it was a major pain inthe arse to loose your disk geometry.

I still think that cracking a bios password should be doable although I must admit that I haven't done it for quite some time.

regards

ALHOLK

I thought stenography allowed you to hide information in a picture rather than hide the pictures

steganography is hiding data inside of data so you could hide a photo in a music file or you could hide a large archive inside of a file system that apeared to be empty. The emphasis is on hiding. part of the logic behind it is that you can be compelled to produce a decryption key if there doesn't appear to be anything to decrypt. Another being that you could place a digital watermark on a photo or music file.

ag

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a Compaq laptop, and a Compaq carrying-case, clearly labeled as such with white letters on a black background, nobody cared at all.

Only when I went back, customs wanted to go through it, but that was purely for security, and the girl grabbed it and moved it a bit to look behind it, but I didn't have to turn on anybody. Ehhmm, anything.

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

Archived