Read any good books lately?

walletss

I know this thread has been covered recently but what novels have you been reading lately? Personally I enjoy reading books that are set in Asia. At the moment I am reading my second book by an author known as Christopher G. Moore who lives and writes in Thailand. The first book I read of his was ? A killing smile?.

Anybody else read books by that writer?

Anyone know any other good writers who set their books in Asia?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The Big Mango" by Jake Needham. "

Seems like most of these books are published by Asiabooks. They have a website up. So far this book called "Chairs", I am reading is a winner. It's a collection of 16 stories. The voices in the stories are those of Bangkok based freelance journalists.

You can check out Jake Needham's books at his web site, www.JakeNeedham.com. He's not being published by Asia Books anymore and I know he has one or two books that are set in Bangkok and Phuket which are published somewhere overseas and not sold in Thailand. Moore also has a web site where he sells his books (I think it is www.christopheremoore.com). Also check out Dean Barrett, although his Bangkok books date back a way.

I used to read Christopher Moore's books because it was fun to read about places like Thermae that I knew so well, but I finally gave up. I just could not take any more of his terrible writing style.

The BEST of the bunch, IMO, is Jake Needham. I've only read the first two, "The Big Mango" and "Tea Money," and both are excellent. The latter is particularly interesting as he's played quite a joke on readers in that it is not a typical set-in-Thailand novel: It takes place during January, the "coolest" time of the year; the farang hero has a farang girlfriend (!); there are no bar areas or prostitutes featured, or even mentioned.

James Eckhardt is rather amusing, too. He works at "The Nation" now, used to write for the "Bangkok Post," and I've always enjoyed his writing.

Look in the Arts & Culture Forum, too.

hert.gif

Walletss,

My Xmas reading list, for what it is worth, Joseph Conrad's "Heart Of Darkness", Alex Garland's "The Tesseract" and Graham Greene's "The Quiet American", all seemed to whet the appetite for travel, the latter two interesting takes on SE Asia.

Cheers

Jaga

Archived