Read any good books lately?

walletss

Yeah, 'Damage Done' was a good one.

I'm now reading 'What's your name I'm fine thank you' by Roger Beaumont.

It are, says here, biting and hilarious stories about life in Bangkok and life in general.

I haven't finished it yet but it's already worth reading. :)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was indeed thinking of Memiors of a Bangkok Warrior. Sorry about that. I stand corrected.

Incidentally, one of the posters above (who asked not to be quoted since he's not sure he's supposed to know) told me that he'd heard from Jake that THE BIG MANGO is also picking up heavy steam as a movie project.

Apparently James Gandolfini, aka Tony Soprano, ended up with a copy of Needham's book from somewhere (suppose he was screwing around out here on the sly?). Gandolfini liked the book so much, so the story goes, that he tracked down the American producer who had bought the movie rights and asked to appear in the film version as well as to whatever he could to help get it made.

That would be a very cool thing to see. Tony Soprano crusiing Soi Cowboy. I'm not sure the world is really ready for it......

my favourites are God of Darkness by C Moore, Memoirs of a Geisha (forgot the author), the DAmage Done (aka 4000 days by Warren Fellows), Off the Rails in Pbohm Pen (Amit Gilboah), Pat Pong Sisters (forget the authors name), and there's one in the pipline from yours truly that is as yet unpublished, but fingers crossed...........

Cheers

" and there's one in the pipline from yours truly that is as yet unpublished, but fingers crossed..........."

So what's it going to be about? Your personal experiences and recollections of Thailand?

Have you heard of a guy called Ted Koppel. He is based in The Philiipines and he wrote a book called " Hey Joe" which is a collection of short stories based on his experiences. Very funny and entertaining.

While I will concede that Needham is a fine author and The Big Mango was a good read, I was very dissapointed with Tea Money. I disagree that it reflects aspects of Bangkok.. In fact it had very little to do with life in Bangkok to the point that it could have been set anywhere. The polt had nothing to do with Thailand and non of the main characters were Thai. The ending was so unbelievable it almost insults your inteligence.

I do try to read everything and anything set in or about Thailand however I do find that the majority of non-Thai authors do include some mention of the nightlife. Since this board is set up for and revolves around the nighlife scene I made the book recomendations that I thought would appeal to its readers. However for books that are not set in Nana or Patpong, I thought Graham Joyce's latest was good for about 3/4 of the way through but then lost the plot a bit. Chalida is another one that offers an interesting story into Thai family life.

I disagree about David Young's Thailand Joy. I thought it was excellent reading - with a sense of humor which is something the abovementioned authors curiously lack.

I find Moore absolutely unreadable.

: I find Moore absolutely unreadable. "

I found him slightly disappointing when I read " Comfort Zone".

Strangely enough if you go Amazon and read the reviews, they think he is great.

I am reading "Chairs" where he is just the editor and it is much better. It has still got his name on the cover even though technically he is not the author.

Archived