Read any good books lately?

walletss

I think the best novalist which features this area is Stephen Leather, his book yet unpublished, Private Dancer is all about Nana Plaza, and should be a compulsary read for every Farlang coming to Thailand, they would certainly come here with alot more knowledge of the Bar Scene. This can be downloaded from the stephenleather web site.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 books I read recently from/about Asia:

Tiziano Terzani: A Fortune-Teller Told Me: Earthbound Travels in the Far East.

Great travel report about a changing Asia from traditional to capitalist societies. Exiting writing, I could not stop to read during my trip in Cambodia. Terzani travelled for one year in Burma, Thailand and most Asian countries only by train, car, bus, and foot (never by plane) in search for old traditions (story telling, ghosts :angel: e.g.) and the new. He met various people rural natives, intellectuals, drug lords, expats e.g.. For me a must read. Completely different to other travel writings.

Wei Hui: Shanghai Baby

A novel about an ?amour fou? in contemporary Shanghai.

This book caused an uproar in China :devil:

Haruki Murakami: A wild sheep chase.

IMHO the best story by one of the leading Asian writers. A wonderful, strange story. My absolute favourite in Japanese contemporary literature. - I have read it more than once. biggrinsanta.gif

All books are available in BKK

Wei Hui: Shanghai Baby

A novel about an ?amour fou? in contemporary Shanghai.

This book caused an uproar in China

The author got famous by this book. Just a short time ago I saw her on Japanese TV when she gave an interview. As far as I understood, that's the story of her life. Correct me if I'm wrong. Unfortunately this book is not /not yet available in English language in Japan. Want to read it as soon as possible.

As far as I understood, that's the story of her life. Correct me if I'm wrong. Unfortunately this book is not /not yet available in English language in Japan.

It is semiautobiographical (what ever that means in this case).

I bought the book at Asia Books in BKK. If you do not have time to go there ;), maybe you will find it at Kinokuniya in Shinjuku/Times Square or other book shops with big foreign books departments in Tokyo. It is listed in Kinokuniyas web shop Kinokuniya Book Web, (shop in Jap. only). Surprisingly it is not listed at Amazon Japan.

I'll try to buy the book when I'm in BKK again (mid of January). Maybe semiautobiographical because she's young (and by the way, she's also pretty :p) and as far as I remember she not only wrote about herself but also about others who have gweilo i.e. foreigner boy friends.

As well written as they are, I could never get into the books written by the so-called famous Bangkok authors.

One book I really recommend, if you can find it, is Bangkok Angel by Mike Smith and Robin Hayes. You can do a web search and find details.

It's a true story about a divorced guy based in UK who visits Bangkok to meet women who will be introduced to him through a dating agency. Not suprisingly, this doesn't work out so well but he has more luck, and some major ups and downs, later on. I loved it!

Hi Walletss,

in the polls section they mentioned a few books that I'm looking for as of today, for more info on the books, check the poll section;

Thailand-A short History by David Wyatt

The Lotus Kingdom by Allistair Shearer

Venturing further by Tristan Jones

A few books mentioned in this thread seem worthwhile checking out as well.

Cheers,

Limbo

Hi,

[color:"red"] Does someone know a good novel writen by a Thai and translate in english that is available in Bangkok?

[/color]

A writer named "Botan" wrote a book "Letters from Thailand" and it is translated into English. You may be able to find a copy from Asiabooks. there is also "A child from Isaan" written by a Thai writer name "Kampoon Boon tawee"(not sure of the spelling. I could not find a copy of this one yet. If someone knows where I can find a copy, please post, thanks.

Jasmine

Hi Jasmine,

>"A child from Isaan" written by a Thai writer name "Kampoon Boon tawee"<

That was recommended a few years ago by an (issaan) friend of mine. I've asked sevaral times in bookshops in BKK for that title, only to be told it was out of print in English. Yes, if anyone finds it, I'd like to buy a copy.

regards,

Phoenix

(Back in farangland, after 7 wonderful weeks in Lao PDR and LOS.

Plotting and scheming about my next trip.)

Archived