Read any good books lately?

walletss

>>don't make assumptions<<

Ah assumptions, well we all make those.

I mean it is on an assumption that that you base the statements that the majority of Thais are affected by the sex industry, or do you have documented evidence?

>>learn reading other people's posts first<<

I'll learn reading them if they learn to write them. True you didn't specifically say that the "Great Thai Novel" was to be written by a Westerner in English but given the general subject of this thread it was certainly implied. If that was not what you implied then you are suggesting that Thai authors have failed to write anything worthy of comparison to Steinbeck or Dickens. Thats's a bold statement isn't it? How well versed are you in Thai literature? How well do you read Thai? Are you basing your statement on the limited number of books that have been (IMO poorly) translated into English?

Then you contend that part of this failure is due to ignoring the 'commercial sex scene' in their works. Tell me do all great books in the West dwell on the topic of commercial sex? Doesn't this seem a particualrly facile standard to judge a book by? 'War and Peace' -no prostitutes - how irrelevant that book is!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>True you didn't specifically say that the "Great Thai Novel" was to be written by a Westerner in English but ...<<<

well, there is no "but".

i did not say it which basically makes your whole misplaced attack against me goundless.

and basically, i am not willing to get into another stupid and childish argument here. go and look for trouble somewhere else. you wanna discuss literature with me, learn politeness first.

Well Excuuuuuuse me!

"you wanna discuss literature with me, learn politeness first"

I'll be polite when you lose the arrogance, buster.

I couldn't be bothered discussing 'literature' with an arrogant blowhard like yourself. I disagree with your opinions and you throw a hissy fit. If you don't want people to interpret your statements incorrectly then write your posts more clearly.

>>>I'll be polite when you lose the arrogance, buster.

I couldn't be bothered discussing 'literature' with an arrogant blowhard like yourself. I disagree with your opinions and you throw a hissy fit.<<<

very nice...

i don't know how much more clear i have to be here, but i'll try it:

just FUCK OFF and leave me alone!

is that post clear enough for you? no incorrect interpretition now anymore?

Hi,

Fly, what is your problem? Do you want to get kicked off this board that badly?

Why the fuck can't you accept that people disagree with you without turning into an arrogant, hot-tempered bastard? I know that in person you are a nice guy, but online your attitude sucks!

I am getting really tired of constantly having to mend the piece because you could not keep your temper in check. So, lose the attitude or I will ban you from this board.

Sanuk!

I have to say I enjoyed both of David Young's novels, The Scribe and Thailand Joy. He has a light style, and I mean that in a good way, effervescent or whatever the right word is.

I get the impression he is young. No doubt when he is my age he will write circles around where I am now. Anybody ever meet him? Does he live in Thailand full time?

As for Thai authors, besides Pira Sudham, there are some a bit before his time that are interesting or at least you learn a lot about Thailand. For example, Little Things by Prajuab Thirabutana, The Third Encounter by Trirat Petchsingh, and My Boyhood in Siam by Kumut Chandruang. Just keep your eyes open in used book stores and you're bound to come across some good ones.

Cheers!

>>>Fly, what is your problem? <<<

my problem is very simple. i made a perfectly normal post stating my opinion, on which i get answered by markle: quote begin:

>>>Which kind of illustrates the perposterousness of your statement. <<< quote end.

not overly polite in my book. esp. then completely misquoting me.

then i am getting called names like "arrogant blowhard" etc., not really part of the boardrules either.

so excuse me, but that is my friggin' problem.

Archived