Read any good books lately?

walletss

Fly, both you and I, and a few other of our friends on the board love and learnt from Thailand and thai people a lot.

One of the things i learnt is to step back a bit, when the air starts getting heavy between 2 people, esp. strangers. Just going beyond the argument at hand and restoring some harmony. I am sure you do this constantly in your daily life, try on the board.

It is not a matter of lending the other cheek, every guy can pick up the first hint of calming things down, and will respond accordingly. What's the point of learning from another culture if we don't apply the lessons in our very life, when it's needed?

cordially

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Your problem is that you can not accept the fact that people may not take your word for things. You may be right on a lot of subjects, but turning arrogant and bragging about what you have seen / done is not helping. Rather the opposite I would say.

Your temper and arrogancy are not helping with this problem either.

Sanuk!

KS,

With all respect to all here, I just finished reading the whole thread just now.

Your comments to Fly are correct, but only if you would also rebuke Markle on his posting, his rudeness, his arrogance and his baiting of Fly.

I find his posting and language ( allthough more refined ) as rude and impolite as Fly......

And yes, it is not the first time I have to comment on this poster, but as your comments to Fly are made on an open board, my answer is too.

Cheers !

now exactly what i did not want happened - being drawn into another internet argument.

i have made a few simple posts where i stated my opinion, some criticism on some book here, i am called arrogant and other names by two posters (and you now as well). so do you think it is a wonder when i tell one guy to fuck off and to leave me alone? there is only that much of abuse i am willing to tolerate. just go back and see who started the namecalling and the impolite language in that thread here. t'wasn't me.

my "bragging" was not meant to be bragging, it was simply stating a fact which everybody can prove by two phone calls to the foundations already mentioned, and one walk to the mortury in the policehospital near siam square (everybody can go there during normal office hours, entrance is in the soi in the back).

i just read thailand joy yesterday, and i think it was very touching, and well researched.

IMO, if david young keeps on writing like this he will become the best of the expat writers based here in thailand.

Hi,

"now exactly what i did not want happened - being drawn into another internet argument."

Then maybe you should realize when to let things go, and not get all worked up about what is being said here.

Do you think I enjoy spending my free time trying to patch things?

"just go back and see who started the namecalling and the impolite language in that thread here. t'wasn't me."

Wasn't it?

Markle made a comment saying: "Which kind of illustrates the perposterousness of your statement." I am sure you see this as starting the namecalling and impolite language, but I do not. The guy is attacking your claim, not you as a person.

You respond a few posts later with "i am not willing to get into another stupid and childish argument here. go and look for trouble somewhere else. you wanna discuss literature with me, learn politeness first."

That I think could be read as a personal attack, rather than an attack on Markle's points. And it is when things start going downhill rapidly.

"my "bragging" was not meant to be bragging, it was simply stating a fact"

Could very well be, but knowing how you have a tendency to throw 'facts' around and expect people to take your word for their validity, while not extending the same courtesy to others, means that it could very easily be seen as bragging.

And as for arrogance, I think the majority of posters here will agree that that is how your posts sound. Again it may be unintentional, but the fact that you have a very hard time accepting any disagreement with your statements makes you look arrogant.

Sanuk!

>>>Markle made a comment saying: "Which kind of illustrates the perposterousness of your statement." I am sure you see this as starting the namecalling and impolite language, but I do not. The guy is attacking your claim, not you as a person.<<<

c'mon, that's nitpicking.

it is a very impolite thing to say, especially when after that he completely misquotes me, attacking me on a point i have never posted.

>>>Could very well be, but knowing how you have a tendency to throw 'facts' around and expect people to take your word for their validity<<<

in the post stated i have given my sources, the ruam kantanyu foundation and the poh teck tueng foundation, very easy to follow up upon.

i have also ignored the patronising and insulting comments by the poster to whom i answered, just stating that before he calls me arrogant he should check his facts.

>>>And as for arrogance, I think the majority of posters here will agree that that is how your posts sound. Again it may be unintentional, but the fact that you have a very hard time accepting any disagreement with your statements makes you look arrogant.<<<

when i am proved wrong as happened many times, i have no problem to accept that and to apologise (happened a few times as well), but it seems that this does not count for others who simply prefer to be quiet (for example i have heard nothing yet of the other poster over which we had a similar row you got then involved with as well, neither has old-asia-hand answereed my question yet about the orange body bags i asked him here in this thread)

for me it seems that there are a few posters here who just make it a sport to provoce me into a reaction (which they will get :hubba: ), and then go all like a little insulted child running to you as the big boy to slap me on my fingers.

i am sorry, but that is not how i learned how to have my conflicts. you can be as much out of line with all polite sounding words as with swear words, they can hurt even worse (and more often than not are meant to).

so when i feel being flamed/insulted i react myself, i don't go running to you like a crybaby. sorry, but that is a white collar behavior which is not part of my upbringing. you start trouble - you finish it yourself. if you don't want trouble - you learn how to choose you words, because the other guy might not be willing to play your game.

you said yourself that in real life i am a nice guy, well, that is because i am not running around throwing insulting comments in people's faces (and generally people don't do that to me as well, they would get exactly the same reaction from me as they get on the boards here).

Archived