vodka

allatsea2000

He guys, will be in los in about 3 weeks, and am trying to decide what to bring duty free. I have aquired a taste for vodka and red bull, or vodka and v, am wondering if you can buy it off the shelf in the supermarket and at what price. I will be able to pick up a bottle of smirnoff for about $20 australian, just wondering wether i should bother if i can get it just as cheap over there.

Rule of thumb in Thailand: Everything that is imported is rather expensive.

Now, I've actually never bought vodka by the bottle in Thailand but I seem to remember when looking at 'Absolut Vodka' in Carrefour that I thought it was expensive.

A litre of Johnnie Walker, Black, is about 1000 baht (appr. 25 USD) in the supermarket. A local bottled Scotch (for example Spey Royal) goes for around 300 baht. Thai whiskey goes for around 100 baht.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Straycat for the quick response.

It says your location is bangkok, is that right, r u there at the moment, if so how busy is it. Last time i bought absolute vodka is cost about $28 aussie dollars, i suppose thats about 15 of 16 us dollars. If you get a chance it would be great if you could check it out for me.

thanks again

Smirnoff?

Oh well, if that's what you like... :)

Smirnoff, 510 baht for a 700 or 750ml bottle, whatever size they come in.

Finlandia, 455 for a 750ml bottle

Absolute, 559 for a 700ml bottle

Quality stuff like Belvedere. Can't be found no how, no way. Least not by me, and not yet :)

On a side note, I was walking on Ruam Rudi and saw a small wine store. Well, I went in to drool over the wine as I used to follow wine avidly. Anyways, I saw they had a rather decent selection for a small shop (although they tended to the quality "name" brands). But still, I thought the choices shown were reflective of some very good taste. So I was curious, I wanted to know what the markup was on good wine.

So I ask the salesgirl about the cost of importing a case of good zinfandel. Could they do that? Her English was quite good, but she went on to try and show me a Zin they had in stock. I said no, this would have to be special order. Something like a Renwood Old Vines Zinfandel. She looks confused for a second, and they she starts digging into some boxes. I said, "no, this would have to be special order..."

Holy fuck'n shit if she didn't pull out a Renwood bottle that I would recognize anywhere. I was flabbergasted. Zinfandel no less, but not the right bottle. This was Shenendoah Valley. Not a bad bottle, but not as good as the Old Vines. Anyways, it was year 2000 and they wanted 2300. That's a pretty hefty premium for such a young wine which should wait a few more years for drinking. Anyways, she went on to say that this has been a very good seller for the shop but to a limited number of customers so they only stock a case or so at a time.

Amazing!. If you hunt, there just might be gems to be mined out there!!!

<<burp>>

Importing Wine ? Not very easy and definately not cheap to do this.

A. Duty: 60 % of CIF value of the wine.

B. Excise Tax: 1.7647059 is the factor. This is not the percentage, but the factor to put into the excise equation to determine the tax.

C. Interior Tax: 10 % of Excise Tax.

D. VAT: 7 % of (CIF Value + Duty + Excise Tax + Interior Tax)

The total duty, excise tax, interior tax and VAT can add up to about 300% of the "cost" of the wine.

Take a look at the low-cost wines sold in Foodland/Villa, and calculate backwards to see the actual wholesale cost. I'll look up the Excise Tax formula when I'm back in the office and post it here.

Cheers!

• 13 years later...

Take a look at the low-cost wines sold in Foodland/Villa, and calculate backwards to see the actual wholesale cost. I'll look up the Excise Tax formula when I'm back in the office and post it here.

Cheers!

I know us Brits joke about American Math but surely after over 13 years you must have worked out a ballpark figure by now!

• 7 years later...