"Money Number One" by Neil Hutchinson

I just read a new book called Money Number One by Neil Hutchinson and I highly recommend it to all the newbies to Thailand. Even though the book is specially geared toward Pattaya.

Any comments?

[ February 25, 2002: Message edited by: Traveler ]

The book can be bought at certain bars in Pattaya and of course at Bookazine bookstores.

The book is humerous and good because it warns the newbies what not to do and to advise what reallly is going on here.

Overall, I'll give 3 1/2 stars.

I find most of the books written and printed in the region overpriced, Mr Moores early prints with the white cover almost 3 years ago were ok at 325 baht, it equated to 14AUD at the time, now at 475 baht which is over 21 dollars, (and not as good a quality as the older books I have) I refuse to buy them. Same with many of the new unknown authors coming out, all around the same price. I bought a new novel in OZ last year and paid much less for what was an equivalent book.

I was told there is no duty or taxes on books in Thailand, by a manager of Asia Books.

Come, Jingjon, give these guys a break. They write books most of us enjoy reading, at least sometimes, and not one of them is making any money at it. Trying to make them sound like they're ripping us off is ridiculous.

Print runs for local books in Thailand are very small, a few thousand copies at most, and the per copy cost is consequently very high. That book you bought in Australia is probably printed by the tens of thousands, and the per copy cost of big print runs is very low.

Sure the Asia Books person may have said there are no duties and taxes on books in Thailand (or anywhere else for that matter), but did he tell you that Asia Books TRIPLES the price at which they buy a book from an independent publisher like Moore (who self-publishes his books) before they sell it to you? Moore's books probably cost him at least B75-85 per copy to produce, and on top of that he has to pay for design work, typesetting, cover photography, negatives required for reproduction, packing,shipping, accounting and all kinds of other overhead. Asia Books may remit to him B150 per copy at most, but they can also return all unsold copies anytime in the future they want to. he has all the risk. They get twice the revenue he does and have no risk.

I'd guess Moore puts in his pocket way less than B100,000 per book, each of which is at least a year of hard work for him. If you'd do that much hard work for B8000-10,000 a month, I'd really like to hire you.

Archived