What is this "sick buffalo" joke all about?

Hi all

I'm just curiuous to know what is this "BG's sick buffalo" joke about. Could someone enlighten me?.

I wish you all have a happy new year. Sanuk! ;)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

For what I gathered is the story of BG telling their customers to gain empathy and money.

Seriously, I came from up-country myself and my grandfather owned many buffaloes. These buffaloes were loved and I feel if you love something, you love them.

I used to be in a dorm with a female from Nebraska who pasted her favorite cow picture on a wall and told us so many cute stories about her that we thought that cow was pretty cute.

A Thai friend lost her Isaan maid because that poor woman missed her buffalo.

I like the buffaloes myself and I hope that Thailand will preserve them.

I like real buffaloes ok, not the ones with 2 feet!!! :o :o

Cheers! :D

Hi cornelius,

Just to be boring about it - it is supposed to be a common reason why a BG will ask for money. Her family needs it to look after the buffalo, which in times past (and often still in the present) was important to carry out the work in the rice fields. Of course this reason is not necessarily the truth - Bangkok bar girls have been known to tell lies occasionally.

Khwai

Cornelius - the "buffalo sick" joke goes that far that even some members here chose it as their handle: "Khwai mai sabai" means exactly that - "buffalo is sick".

What follows is - "you send money, OK?"

Some other members have a buffalo image in their avatars. That has something to do with buffalo being (for Thais) held the most stupid creature on earth.

Something to do with us who fall in love with (many would say wrong) girls and send them money, stay long time with them or marry them.

PS: be careful if you want to pronounce the string yourself - a very slight mistake may change the meaning into "my dick is sick".

A bar-girl was once complaining to me, that her farang boyfriend did not send her money from overseas as expected. So I asked her jokingly, why she did not write him, that she needed the money for her sick parents back in Isan.

On which she replied, that she could never do that, cause a phi (ghost) might take this as a reason to make them really sick.

So, if you, as I Thai falsely say: he or she is sick, then the poor bastard may really become sick!

Therefore, I guess, they choose the living thing, which they care least about, the stupid family's buffalo... :devil::clown:

[color:"red"] PS: be careful if you want to pronounce the string yourself - a very slight mistake may change the meaning into "my dick is sick". [/color]

Forgive me by I am terribly tempted to answer.!!! :o

Perhaps, that is what many tourists should say!!!!

Cheers! :D :D :D

Hi,

The truth is I did not know that it was a joke until reading this board.

My mother told me that she loaned out money to relatives (mostly rice farmers) to take care of their sick baffaloes or cattles. This can be real.

A guy I went to high school with is a vet and his specialty was taking care of buffaloes. And I understand that there are some money alloted to preserve these animals now and I hope they will stay with the Thai rice farmers.

Cheers! :D :D :D

I think saying the "family buffalo is sick" probably has a lot more meaning to a thai person than a farang. ( the girls just think we will get the meaning, and take it seriously).

but for the most part we ( farangs) take it as a joke. ( like the uncle hurt on motorcycly accident, brother fall in well, ect)

Archived