Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

R.I.P. Anthony Bourdain. Died by apparent suicide. IMHO a huge talent.

Not wanting to be a contrarian, but Mr Bourdain RIP, was one of life's un-notables who got hit repeatedly by the lucky stick. I know people with a more interesting back story, who the world has chosen to ignore, and even 'Moi' was travelling and eating unusual food with interesting people, long before Mr Bourdain appeared.

I guess this is an example of why so many talentless people get money showered on them.

'Give me another cigarette, I can eat that, what's that?, prepared traditionally, cigarette please".

Not wanting to be a contrarian, but Mr Bourdain RIP, was one of life's un-notables who got hit repeatedly by the lucky stick. I know people with a more interesting back story, who the world has chosen to ignore, and even 'Moi' was travelling and eating unusual food with interesting people, long before Mr Bourdain appeared.

I guess this is an example of why so many talentless people get money showered on them.

'Give me another cigarette, I can eat that, what's that?, prepared traditionally, cigarette please".

I guess we disagree. Having read his books, in addition to seeing most his shows, his narrative was, to me, fantastic. Sarcastic, caustic, etc, It clicked with my (OK I admit I'm warped) humor. The fact that he traveled, and ate in different places was not new, yes, but it was sure different than any of the other travel/food shows I have seen.

His first book, Kitchen Confidential, was an excellent view into behind the scenes of restaurants.

I guess we disagree. Having read his books, in addition to seeing most his shows, his narrative was, to me, fantastic. Sarcastic, caustic, etc, It clicked with my (OK I admit I'm warped) humor. The fact that he traveled, and ate in different places was not new, yes, but it was sure different than any of the other travel/food shows I have seen.

His first book, Kitchen Confidential, was an excellent view into behind the scenes of restaurants.

My apologies, I didn't mean to disagree with you, it's just my opinion, I don't really think he was notable, except for, perhaps jumping repeatedly in front of the spotlight. But I'm glad he has/had fans, he had a better life because of them.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Cronauer was the first, but after that every other AFVN announcer used "Good morning Vietnam" to start the day. Still, I never heard anyone yell it the madcap panic way Robin Williams did. Scream that at the GI in the field, and he was going to hit the dirt and lock and load. ;)

p.s. I never had a radio in RVN (other than a PRC25) , but there always seemed to be somebody who had one on back at the fire base. Once in a while we'd listed to Hanoi Hannah. She played good music. I remember the time she mentioned my battalion by name, saying she was sorry for us losing so many men. What had actually happened was that NVA sappers had managed to slip through the perimeter wire one night. They were quickly spotted and all four killed. The only one losing any men were Hanoi.