A BIG rat is downstairs!!!

I'm doing my morning exercise and on the 15th lap around the condo. What do I see? The security guard is scraping off the scraps and washing his plate in this concrete box. The box is in the round,which holds the excess drainage water before going into another pipe which, drains it. They have 10 of these concrete boxes on the sides of the condo building. The sewer pipes feed into these boxes.The guard leaves a pot and plate next to the concrete box to dry off.

My next lap, I see a very BIG sewer rat has now come up to see what's for dinner. He is eating the scraps.

On the 20th lap, I come around the corner and see this BIG rat is now out of the box and is next to the pot. He must still be hungry. He runs away, when seeing me.

The next laps, the rat is getting braver.At the end, he just snarls at me as I walk by.

I go to the full service restaurant downstairs and talk to the guy running it. He speaks English and after explaining it, he simply laughs. I asked him " You like rat?" " No like rat" he tells me, while smiling.

I then go to the Security Guard and tell him" Someone likes your cooking,"I then make a fast motion on my arm with my fingers, trying to imitate a rat running, while saying " Yai Mak." He laughs hysterical and says " Nu" But no effort to go get his pot and plate.

I call my wife Nui and ask her " Nu mean rat? " Yes plus she said it can be some other Thai word. "Why am I not getting a reaction?" I asked. Nui explained that "in Bangkok, people are used to rats. They don't care." This is true, I would have had more reaction if I said, " Look at the beautiful bird" At least they would of looked.

I"m laughing now, as a thought just came to me. I used to live in a condo in Florida. We had a Condo Commando whose name was Irv. He would go crazy over finger marks on the glass. Wonder what old Irv would think of a condo building where a BIG rat gets to live like a pet? I can see the vision of Irv blowing his whistle with his face bright red!

The ironic thing is we live in a very upscale condo in BKK. The place is immaculate, they have three maintenance guys. Not a scrap of paper anywhere but still a rat is allowed. Welcome to Bangkok Showtime!

By the way, two hours have gone by. Just went downstairs for an update on the rat crisis (in my own head). The rat is gone but the plate and pot are still there. Don't think I will be eating at the restaurant downstairs anymore. Yuck!

Archived