THE QUIET AMERICAN movie, how it relates to TG'S..

I just got back from watching the Quite American, and I was astounded at how much the film relates to Asain girls and how they can put a spell over any man they come in contact with. The movie is about an old english writer and a Doctor who become friends during the 1960's in Saigon. The writer has a beautiful younge Vietnamese girlfriend named Phuong who he is madly in love with , and she with him. Then this young american Doctor comes allong and befriends the writer and falls in Love with Phuong after dancing with her only one time! So therefore the battle for Phuong's love beggins. There is allot more to the movie such as American foreign policy and the begining of the Vietnam war but what I want to talk about here is the love story.

You see how Phuong talks english lightly almost in whispers with that accent along with the way she moves and dances which can suduce any man with just one breath and touch. It is ironic I think at the begining of the movie the writer is talking about Vietnam and how addictive it can get because of the women. We all have been seduced by these beautiful creatures. Some of us like me have been lucky to barely get away from their enchanting grasp, but some have have fallen pray to their irresistable charm and beauty. I think every guy on this board should go see this movie, because you guys will be smilling and nodding your heads, saying to yourselfs "I understand why"

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen the movie as well. I have not read the book. An interesting character is Phuong's sister. She was the driving force in Phuong's quest for marriage and security. Typical when it comes to the influence of family..

I found Phuong herself to be less interesting, she didn't seem too bright and spent the time lazying around. Very different from my experience with Vietnamese girls.

Cheers!

I agree. Phoung's sister certainly pulls the strings and having spent a reasonable amount of time in Vietnam I certainly felt that Phoung's charachter was hardly the sterotypical Vietnamese girl.

Couldn't really see the similalrity between Vietnameses girls and Thai girls. Maybe because it was set in the 1960's and there were no mobile phones to use as projectiles when things got heated :D

Okay I will take Phuong and you can have her sister. You are not going to find many Thai actresses any more physically attractive than our new little vietnamese beauty.

My understanding is that she is fairly new to the screen as her background was in dance and i don't think they mean gogo dancing.......

To her credits are a couple other films that i have yet to see but will see if they are available locally.....

Physically and presence-wise, she is what I would like to meet Thai style........Nice to dream!

cardinalblue

"Okay I will take Phuong and you can have her sister. You are not going to find many Thai actresses any more physically attractive than our new little vietnamese beauty."

Yep Cardinalblue, I agree. My comments were more about the character she played in the movie. I would also go for the Viet girls, I am engaged to one.

Cheers!

Have not seen the movie yet but have read Graham Greene's book many times and he makes local authors like Moore seem absolutely pathetic, somehow getting more feeling and atmosphere into a couple of words than Moore manages in whole chapters. Rumour was that Greene himself fell for a Vietnamese gal and fathered a kid with her.

Archived