THE QUIET AMERICAN movie, how it relates to TG'S..

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been anticipating the release of this movie for awhile. I originally heard about it in an inflight magazine (Thai or Air Canada, can't remember) two years ago. The release was delayed at first but its debueu(sp?) was at the Toronto Film Festival last year to much acclaim.

Graham Greene's book is a delightful read, aparently this version of the movie(the first was done in the 50's) follows his novel better than the first version(Greene was not too happy about the original interpretation).

Michael Caine(Fowler) has been nominated for best actor for an Oscar. I cannot think of a better Fowler than him. I hope he wins... I am going this weekend to see it...

Re: the topic, as in relation to TG's. I am sure Phoung looks absolutely yummy in her ao dai, but I think TG's look just as fine. As far as her personna goes, read the book, it's a true classic.

What I found absolutly delightfull about the movie was how they depicted Vietnam during the 1950's. Everything seemed so clean and charming, along with the Vietnamese culture. I havnt been to Saigon yet, I plan to go this summer, but to those who have been, I wonder if Saigon still has that same charm as it does in the movie. In the movie you can, smell, taste and breath Vietnamese.

"What I found absolutly delightfull about the movie was how they depicted Vietnam during the 1950's. Everything seemed so clean and charming, along with the Vietnamese culture. I havnt been to Saigon yet, I plan to go this summer, but to those who have been, I wonder if Saigon still has that same charm as it does in the movie. In the movie you can, smell, taste and breath Vietnamese. "

Personally I like Hanoi much better than HCMC (Saigon). I think HCMC lacks soul, its turned into an ugly concrete city. Hanoi is a smaller city, lovely lakes and old colonial style buildings. The people are also nicer.

Cheers!

Mrk,

I think you can answer your own question. Ask yourself if any big city in the world is the same in the 1990's as it was in the 1950's? What about your city?

I completely agree with Check bin on his assessment. Saigon has gone the full way of capitalism and Hanoi seems to be fighting that trend due to their ties to communistic rule and influence. Thus, Hanoi has been able to preserve much more of its past and way of life physically, culturally and spiritually.

Hanoi still has a charming feeling to it as do many other smaller cities in the North or even central region places like Hoi An or Dalat. The same cannot be said of Saigon. It is not even close........

Cardinalblue

<< I think every guy on this board should go see this movie, because you guys will be smilling and nodding your heads, saying to yourselfs "I understand why" >>

I just finished watching the new release in the USA and fully agree with the above statement. Now, is there a cure for this addiction? I hope not.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to pick up the subject again, but what is the situation with the DVD/VCD or release in Thailand? Has it hit the big screen in BKK yet? I tried to get it at Panthip Plaza yesterday, no luck. Any idea where to go?

It was shown at the bangkok international film festival so I doubt that it will be released at the cinema, its just not mainstream enough for a thai audience I guess.

I bought it on dvd from panthip so it is available there, and its a good copy as far as quality goes!

Archived