'The biggest brothel in South East Asia'...quote..

I was sitting in the library of my university this afternoon doing some research on Indonesia for a thesis paper. I came across an article written at the beginning of 2002 saying that SURABAYA was 'the biggest brothel in South east Asia'.

The article didn't excatly spell out the details as it was about the town not the prostitution.

So I just wondered has anyone been there and can you confirm or deny this story.???

By the way my thesis is about Islamic fundamentalism so I am not looking for info to write about..........just curious.

Sanuk

Uniformguy

I've been to Surabaya. Had to visit the US consulate there to get a replacement passport when mine was stolen in Bali (there was no consulate in Bali at the time, and Surabaya was the closest).

My impression of the place was that it was a shit-hole, but that may be colored by the foul mood I was in. Sanuk was not on my mind at the time.

They might be talking about Dolly which is a designated commercial sex area tempat lokalisasi PSK in Surabaya. My guess is that the numbers of sex workers in Batam are much larger, so that would make Nagoya the largest brothel in South East Asia. 40-50,000 people pass immigration at Batu Ampar on a typical weekend day. They are not all whore mongers but if some one told me that 25% were I would not be surprised.

ag

Went there 3 days on my maiden Indonesia report. Dolly is reported to be run by the military. TWO LONG STREETS with shophouses and 10-15 girls of mixed quality in each.

I would argue to say Pattaya or Angeles in Phils (for population density) are the biggest brothels is S.E. Asia but Jakarta could be the most fun.

Seems to be a fluctuating opinion as to wheer's the biggest brothel.

A few years ago I'd read that Taipei is the biggest with Angeles and Pattaya, second and third, and that was in the world, not just Asia.

Having been to Angeles I'd say Pattaya is bigger though. Never been to Taipei to make any comment on that.

I suspect the article was referring to Dolly......the point of the piece was how rough and ready the place was but if you worked at it there was a lot to commend it. It just surprised me as I always thought Pattaya was the biggest.

I suppose it depends on your definition of brothel. This place 'Dolly' sounds a bit like KM11 in Phnom Penh and mostly for the locals not the sex tourists, so we may not consider it to be the biggest.

I'll see if I can find it and post the URL if anyone is interested.

Anyway thanks for the info.

Uniformguy

I think that Dolly does get alot of non-local traffic, but I don't think it gets the volume that they see in Riau (Pulau Karimun and Tanjung Pinang). Actually these places (brothel villages) are not as bad as the fishbowl type brothels referred to a salon and showroom were the girls are almost always in a very disadvantaged position. I don't know about Dolly's history but the equivelent in Jakarta was inspired by a visit to Patpong. Governer Ali Sadikin (called either Brother Ali or Governer Vice) saw localisation as a way to ensure that the workers saw some protection by way of law and health control. The problem with these places is that they don't really have proper jobs for men. So they are all over-run by men pimping touting selling drugs and extorting protection money.

ag

I participated at Dolly twice but unfortunately as Photos aren't allowed here I can't show you horndogs what it looks like.

Going rate is on-premise only. 50k rupiah for room for 1 hour and another 50k to girl. Not really my scene but better for a afternoon startup session.

i would like to add that seoul has a huge brothel section called miadi or miari....anyways, they have literally over a thousand girls in these glass houses......there has to be like 100 little glass houses with 15-20 girls in each one.....only around a quarter would allow farangs.....but there were some real cute ones.....one korean guy later told me that they have underage girls there..... ::......dont know if that is true or not

Archived