praise-the-thais

pattaya127

I'm always pleasantly surprised when I get a taxi, and not only does the driver knows where he's going, he also knows a short cut! Unlike the muppet last week. Got in a cab at Robinsons on Sukhumvit, heading for Soi Artist and the Londoner - had to navigate for him...

quote:

Originally posted by pattaya127:

not quite sure where if i posted that one before on nana. Last Jan. ran out of gas going up Doi Suthep, 2 bikes stopped by (thais), tried to siphon gas out of their tank, finally one went up and came back with a liter. refused the money.

I had a similar think happen a month ago. I was at a Thai lesson, and when I left I discovered my motorbike was out of gas. My teacher got two of her friends to push my bike to a gas station, fill it up, and bring it back to me.

I've had Thai's put me up in their homes for free many times.

Often if I seem bewildered or upset a thai will come and try to help out. I was trying to figure out how to use a phone card to call a mobile, and a thai standing near by helped me out. We didn't get it working, but the effort was nice.

Most cab drivers (and even some tuk-tuk drivers!) are very cuteous.

I've had thai friends go out of their way do do things for me so many times I can't even count.

I couldn't find a soi I was looking for once in Bangna. I asked a guy and his g/f parked on their motorbike at 7 eleven. He said he wasn't sure if knew or not and insisted on offering me a ride to go and find it whilst hif g/f waited. It must have taken us 15 minutes of riding through back sois and asking residents where it was (amazing that thais really don't know their own surroundings).

We eventually found it. I thanked him profusely and also offered him 100 baht for his efforts and he refused to accept it. You'd be lucky to find that help back home.

A couple of minor "great" things about Thailand, actually Bangkok. I love to be able to have my clothes altered and repaired on almost any street corner for a fraction of what it would cost at home (NY), and the work is always excellent.

I love all of the fresh fruit available all over the place, especially the fresh squeezed OJ.

I love Mackro.

quote:

Originally posted by CondomKing:

A couple of minor "great" things about Thailand, actually Bangkok. I love to be able to have my clothes altered and repaired on almost any street corner for a fraction of what it would cost at home (NY), and the work is always excellent.

I love all of the fresh fruit available all over the place, especially the fresh squeezed OJ.

I love Mackro.

was walking on Silom, ready to hit patpong nights, then bird shit splashes on my immaculate t-shirt.In US, i'd have to go home, in BKK, on the spot bought a t-shirt from a stall (50 bahts), quick change, and not a sanook minute wasted!

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

I was walking from my house one evening to pak soi (about a kilometre amd a half away!). I flagged down what I thought was a passing motorcycle taxi only to find it was a regular Joe Thai on his way home from work. He took me to pak soi anyway and refused any payment.

Just one example of the many kindnesses I have been shown during my five years here.

So..there're no more things to praise the Thais ?

I hope not...

I once didn't realise I'd dropped my wallet at a newstand. The girl who looked after the stand running after me and handed me my wallet. She gave me a big smile and ran back before I could say anything.

One more...

Once I was lost in a soi. I went to an office building. It was the begining of a lunch time and people were getting out of the office to have lunch. I asked a girl walking with her friends where to get to the place I wanted to go. She just said followed me and drove me to the place !! It was just a short drive but it saved me a lot of time and money since the place was hidden deep in a soi. I must admit though that it was hard to get out of the car when you were sitting among four girls at the back. smile.gif" border="0

People talk about getting scams from bgs too many times. If you look around, Thai people are not just bgs, mama/papasans,and taxi drivers who often times are trying to rip you off one way or another. There're still nice Thai people, if you have the time to take a look at them and appreciate them.

It's funny though that the "Peeves" thread ran for two weeks. But this thread stopped after two days !!!!!

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: BkkShaggy ]

Archived