Cambodia border scams still going on?

Do the border guards in Cambodia always demand more money than the actual price of the visa? If they demand a vaccination certificate, which is not required, can you avoid the "fine?" for not having one?

Is Koh Kong a safe place? Free of pickpockets and robbers? Good for a week or so of relaxation?

I don't know about the Poipet immigration staff, but the staff in Koh Kong wants 1100 baht (as of last week).

No vaccination certificate needed. Remember to bring a photo for the visa application, otherwise they'll charge you an extra 100 baht.

Koh Kong is a sleepy town with a lot of friendly people. Everyone seem to say "hello!" when you drive past them.

Robbers/pickpockets? Just be a little careful at night and if you're travelling alone.

As I just mentioned in another thread, I did have a lot of fun there during my last visarun (stayed 4 days). Would have stayed longer but had some business to take care of back in Thailand.

Stay at the Phoumint Hotel by the river if you're not on a tight budget. Check out the www.kohkong.com website for info on hotels/guesthouses.

Also, don't belive the motorbiketaxiguys. They'll lie in order to bring you to places where they get more commission. Just check out the internet before you go for some updates on what's open and what the current prices are.

Have fun.

Fredro

Hi

I was in Poipot in May......and what a total SHIT HOLE! I gotta agree with the lonely planet book when they call it the "armpit of cambodia" I paid the same price u did 1100 Baht.

I didnt feel very safe there, would hate to be stuck there after dark. One positive was the market on the Thai side.

The Phoumin Hotel in KohKong (rooms from $6) is located just near the boat pier toward the bridge. Good hotel but could not find any English speaking staff. From boat pier the hotel is just 100 meters to the left. Cost on motobike from border to hotel should be no more than 80 Baht; takes about 15-20 minutes and crosses the bridge. Best to rent a motorbike to avoid paying commissions to greedy drivers. Was advised Koh Pich Hotel is good place to find bike rental. Or maybe visit Otto's Restaurant/Bar and ask. The Chicken farm ladies were lots of fun. Last month I paid 600 Baht for L/T, back at hotel, which no doubt included commission to motodriver. At one of the houses a large can of beer was 50 Baht, same price for the ladies drink. Two ladies shared the lady's drink...and provided entertainment.

Have the visa fees changes from $20 or 1000 baht. I paid $20 in March at Poipet twice (and Phnom Penh on another trip.) The jerkoffs at the land crossing are always trying to get 1000 baht and press for it. I politely tell em to "shove it" and give em 20 bucks and a photo (no photo? another 100 baht). That crap seems to only exist at the border crossings. Not at airports at SR and PP. People need to tell em to p--- off. They will, unhappily. But you might need to speak with a supervisor and push it.

The last two times I crossed into Koh Kong, the immigration officials tried to get 1,100 baht for the visa from me. The first time I told them I only had $20 and didn't have any baht. The second time, I showed them the business cards of the officials who are the heads of immigration in Cambodia and are located in Phnom Penh. I printed their biz cards off the Koh Kong website. When I told the immigration officials at the Koh Kong border crossing that I would report them if they persisted in trying to extract 1,100 baht from me, they quickly backed off and took my $20. If you don't fight them, they will try to do that to every tourist.

Archived