Phnom Penh

Weird place, general ambience and people much more friendly than expected... even the moto taxi drivers are nice, esp compared to the Bangkok idiots. Downdown PP and riverside area are actually nicer than Bangkok in laid back way, though most of the buildings are three to four storeys. Hotels are comparable to Bangkok, not as cheap as Pattaya. 15-20 dollars for something newish, with air, TV and window!

Done five bars so far but the gals are either too young (and no English) or too far gone, in a way that would make a Pattaya hooker look nice. Quite frightening at times, especially if you have a Vietnamese on one side and a Khmer on the other - they definitely hate each other's guts!

Worth doing for a visa run, a lot less threatening than the PI...

Internet access is reasonable and very cheap - a dollar for two hours.

Long time seems to be around 20 dollars but can probably get that down to 15 dollars but with the high AIDS rate (30-40 percent depending on who you believe) in the whores I haven't found anyone I would be willing to risk it with.

a lot less threatening than the PI

Why do you think the Phils are so threatning? I keep hearing these tales about being mugged or whatever but I for one have never had a problem except for the crazy amercian that lived in my apartment building.......go figure........i know, off topic, but it amazes me about persons shying away because of the crime.....i dont get it.......thailand has as much petty stuff as phils

Okay, I have been to the PI many times, too, and no problem but the ambience there, with all the thuggish looking guys loitering and scowling, plus the huge in-your-face poverty inbetween sex venues, tends to do my mind in. Phnom Penh probably has even more poverty and desperation but you don't really see it in the downtown/riverside area and even shooting over to Martinis on the other side of town it is mostly minor mansions behind tall gates.

Having said that I will probably be mugged/hijacked on the way to PP airport on Monday!

BTW, they charge between 3 to 5 dollars in the riverside cafes for fried rice and chicken - bloody cheek if you ask me. I buy some fruit for my second meal which averages the two meals out to Bkk prices!

Agreed. I like the frontier atmosphere in Cambodia as well but the girls scare me- when I think about the aids issues-% of women infected- no thanks...... Funny I used to take the plunge in BKK NEP SC but in Cambodia

well I shy away-

I love the temples tho- fabulous civilization.Have studied this art for 15 years.

My moto driver (who I used every night) was a nice guy, as far as I could tell, but when I dropped hints I might be looking for a Cambodian (non-bargirl) wife his whole being suddenly turned to stone. Happily take me to the brothels (I refused to go) and bars but no chance of getting near his extended family which he insisted was in dire straits out in the country. I am sure I could have outbid the brothels!

Khmer men absolutely insisting in virginity in their wives though the exact logic of that fitting in with fathers selling their kids to the brothels totally escapes me.

Anyway, the heat this time of year was totally debilitating and I came back today rather than Monday as planned - it was actually a bit of a culture shock not being able to understand a word of Khmer, and even the way the girls looked was quite different to what I expected.

Curiously, I was quite energized by the whole outing and will be back for another visa run, even though I didn't indulge with any of the girls - that HIV rate again, a legacy of UN soldiers from India and Africa earning serious money for the first time and going crazy in the ultra-cheap brothels.

Archived