world's shortest visa run

Dear FB,

Yes Jeffrey and I (and that awful Monica women) were just heading back from Bangers when blow me old Jeffrey slips of and leaves me alone with Miss Coughlan.

Next thing I know he’s back tells me we wont be going home today after all but he’s well loaded with bottles of whisky, vouchers and all sorts (he always was up on scams, something for nothing) so we all agree to go back to the Nana Hotel and give Jeffrey a good thrashing with the riding crop and we’ll say no more.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Fatbastard:

Airlines always overbook by a couple percent because they know there will be last minute cancelations or noshows. Their goal is to have 0 empty seats, because that's lost money. If too many people show up for the flight they ask for volunteers to be 'bumped' to the next flight and are given cash or free travel as an incentive. (I almost always volunteer if the option comes up!)

Has ANYONE ever had this offer in Thailand?

No , on the contrary. Flights to /from Europe are often full. I had nonconfirmed return flight out of Bangkok on Lufthansa, although they had 3 fligts that night out of BKK had 65 people overbooked!

They have a pririty system on the waiting list and i ended up with an other couple not leaving that night. I asked KLM (opposite check in counter) to put me on their waiting list at the same time. No luck there as well, 5 idiots arrived after check in closed but were allowed to board.

Air France refused to put me on their waiting list because the milage to Paris was more than the destination on my ticket.

Next day, same scenario, LH overbooked, but i got the last seat on KLM to A'dam.

I would avoid this mecanism on longhauls

No , on the contrary. Flights to /from Europe are often full. I had nonconfirmed return flight out of Bangkok on Lufthansa, although they had 3 fligts that night out of BKK had 65 people overbooked!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What do you expect? You admit you were unconfirmed. If you were confirmed it would be a different matter.

Not mentioning that all the cost of doing that is increasing the cost of our ticket.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You've lost me. The cost of doing what increases the price of your ticket?

Getting a refund? No cos they charge me 500B for that. I would say that covers administration.

Cancelling?

No cos if it's a full flight theyve got seats overbooked and if you read the first message correctly you will see that it is any International flight that was mentioned, ie Cambodia, Malaysia and I have NEVER had a problem getting seats on those flights, I fly to both places frequently. I also never prebook a seat on those flights I turn up with an open ticket in my hand and there is allways plenty of availability.

Singapore

sometimes overbooked but I stand in line and wait for a standby. with my job I get priority. So I'm pretty well guaranteed a seat wheras you are in the lottery.

answers to :

pattaya 127- first hand

bangkok envy- no excuse really needed- i call star alliance gold hotline and tell them i won't be traveling- they always say thanks for informing them of the cancellation

and since i only buy e-tickets, the refund amount is credited to my account for use in full within one year- recently united has lifted those restrictions and credits for refundable tickets are now good without time limit-

this is actually old news- the current way to "spin" is to get a dummy boarding pass from airline personal (available like anything else in thailand for a fee) and skip the check-in- just show boarding pass to the airheads who stamp your departure tax slip and show to immigration at departure- then throw in next trash can-

this is my final post on this thread- i'm actually sorry i started it- i've always thought the purpose of these boards was to share experiences with others in the hope that board members would then enhance the state of the information- instead this thread became an series of useless arguments on whetrher you can cancel a ticket after checking in-

if you check my other posts you'll see that i don't mess around- but this will be my last - back to lurking- so long gentlemen

Archived