another Footie Competition

sayjann

i know we will have at least 3 Footie Competitions for the coming Season(Norwich ? predictor,PL and CL ones),but i have an idea of another one which will be a one off prediction and nothing to do for the rest of the season.

a bit sketchy on the scoring but i have ideas and just needs fine tuning.

my idea is for People to predict the FINAL LEAGUE POSITIONS of the Teams in the PL at the end of the Season,i.e from 1-20.

something like--

1-Villa

2-Fulham

3-Birmingham

-

-

-

18-Liverpool

19-Arsenal

20-Man Utd

all the Players would have to do is send me a Final table(by PM) and after i have sorted out the scoring i would post the scoring rules.

but to make it interesting i would post a League Table on the 1st of each Month just to show Players where they stand.

no points each Month,just an idea what is going on and where you stand but we all know how things can change in a Month(or even a Day,just ask CBK).

any interest Guys?.

if so i will press on and define the scoring.....

i bought this subject up up at work and without knowing the rules 39 People have signed up.

lets go for it.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea Sayjann.

Never heard of such competition but sounds interesting and not time consuming at all, unlike all the other competitions we're involved in.

Few minutes of hard thinking one PM and voila!

I'm in :up:

well that's 2 of us.

as you say,1 PM and all finished and nothing to think about every week.

just off to work and doing a mind-numbing job which requires no thinking at all.

will finalise all the details as i walk around for 8 Hours.

Yep - count me in!

Sounds like a good competition. Not time consuming yet still maintains interest throughout the season.

As soon as you a definite its a goer, post it on the thread so we can start sending you our predicitons.

Nice one!

FlyP

right folks,here we go.

at work today it was decided that 5 of us would sit down and make the rules,what we decided is final.

after a few ideas were thrown around and tinkered with we decided how the game will be played.

these rules are set in stone where i work,but if anyone here has any ideas of their own which might improve the game then let's hear them and have responses from the Players.

the idea of the game is to send in a League Table of what you think it will look like at the end of Next Season's Premier League.

all you have to do is send in your predictions from 1-20.

don't forget Wolves Leeds and Leicester are replaced by Crystal Palace,Norwich and W.B.A.

you need to do nothing else,all the scoring will be worked out by myself and posted on the 2nd of each Month and at Seasons end.

i will work out the scores accrued on the 1st of the Month,but remember that at some stages of the Season some Teams will have played more games than others due to CL,FAC and Worthington Cup commitments.

for instance on Dec 1st,Arsenal might have played 3 games fewer than Fulham due to CL group stages.

but the end result is predicting where the Teams finish after 38 PL games.

we could not work out a fair way of determining things if a Team has played more than others,so it was decided to go on the League Table on the 1st of each Month.

SCORING.

it was decided to score it on a Monthly basis just to keep it interesting.

if you predict that Spurs will finish in 12th place and they are 12th on any 1st of each Month,you will score 4 Points.

if they are in 11th or 13th place you will score 1 Point.

this is a reward for fairly accurate predictions.

for example...

Nov 1st-13 place would be 1 point

Jan 1st-12 place would be 4 points.

Apr 1st-9th place would be 0 points.

this will not apply to the top or bottom Team.

any player with the most amount of correct positions each Month will earn a 5 point BONUS.

so if on Mar 12th you have 13 Teams in the positions you predicted at Season's end,you will earn the BONUS.

remember this will happen each Month,but if 3 players have the same amount of predictions right they will ALL get the BONUS.

the player/players at the end of the Season with the most correct predictions will gain an EXTRA 10 POINTS..

it is this BONUS which might determine who wins.

but to gain further BONUS points we decided to have a bit of fun.

we thought everyone will pick roughly the same 6 Teams at the top and bottom.

so we decided to concentrate on mid-table.

this is the Grey area and will throw up many differing opinions.

i might think Spurs will finish in 8th place,but Zaad might think they finish in 15th place.

so from positions 7-14 each Month more BONUS points will be won.

every Team you predicted to finish in the 7-14 positions will earn a point each Month they are in those positions.

but if Spurs move from 8th to 5th in 1 Calender Month you get no points.

but if they move from 5th to 8th you get 1 point.

they have to stay in the 7-14 area.

we all know how Teams can go on a winning/losing run and their League positions can change very quickly.

i know this looks complicated,but all you have to do is send me your League Tables.

all the scoring will be done for you.

i thought it better if players send me their Tables in private so that no-one can see another players predictions and send in something similar.

i can always publish them after the Season has started,

once the Season has started do the Players want to see what the others predicted?.

i have no problem if another player wants to come in with me and work out the scores each Month.

if all the predictions are private until the Season starts i will send mine to any player who wishes to see mine.

Sounds great to me, Sayjann.

Thanks for the work you're putting in to it.

The score calculation does sound a bit complicated at first, but I'll try to calculate mine each month and will PM you if we have differences. Should not be too difficult I guess.

How about bonus points for predicting the correct number 1, champion, and correct number 20,'direct relegator', (at the end of the season only of course). Both positions have at least 3 serious candidates...not an easy pick...or are all correct predictions worth 4 points?

Just a suggestion :)

I am not for the monthly stuff though. IMO the predictions should be all about the final positions, monthly ones will only make sense if seperate predicitions are made for each month.

CBK,

I think the problem with sending in monthly predictions is that people will either forget to send them in or neglect it once being in the lower rankings...as in my Euro200y game.

If predictions are about final positions as you say then we need to wait a whole season before viewing the results and I honestly don't see the fun in that.

I think what Sayjann meant, was earning points every 1st day of the month. That's probably about 9 or 10 times a season and a possibility to earn points. Sounds better IMO than only one possibility at the end of the season.

Archived