To lease land or buy a condo??

Can anyone tell me how a land lease works in Thailand? I have been thinking of buying a condo in BKK but may consider a house if I can have the land in my name. Also, does anyone know where I can look to find current prices of condos in BKK. The Bangkok Post usually has the more upscale places that are a bit out of my range.

thanks for the help. Great to be on the new board.

Hi,

sorry "but may consider a house if I can have the land in my name", that's out of reach! Land can be only in Thai peoples names. However, when you put it in the name of yout GF/BF, you can get a lease which means they cannot sell it and you have the right to stay there. You can have a condo in your name, but only of you bring in the cash. But eventually, who want to stay in a condo alltime?

quote:

Originally posted by think1stbkk:

Land can be only in Thai peoples names

Not exactly true... a foreigner can not own land but a foreigner can own a company that can own land... but don't ask me, ask a lawyer. I am not familiar with leasing laws and if a foreigner can lease land (for let's say 50 years) and then build a house on it, I have considered doing this myself.

Buying a condo has one huge advantage over buying / leasing land. If you buy a condo of 10 million baht and up you will be given a residence permit which means no more visa runs and many other priviliges.

If you have money and patience I'd wait for a few years, with a bit of luck foreigners may be able to buy land in the future and get their residence permit through this.

Also be advised that buying a condo in Bangkok is an extremely bad investment and after buying it you'll probably never get rid of it so make sure you'll actually want to live there for the next 20 years or it won't be worth your while.

A friend did set up a company to get a work permit and visa. The company was only himself and his office was his desk at home. (He did copywriting and commission sales -- made a bundle before the '97 crash.) It wasn't all complicated. (He had dummy Thai partners. They invested nothing and got nothing from it.) Of course, he's a lazy sod and could never bothered to renew the registration, thus losing both visa and work permit. He didn't buy property though, not wanting to tie up his money.

A friend did set up a company to get a work permit and visa. The company was only himself and his office was his desk at home. (He did copywriting and commission sales -- made a bundle before the '97 crash.) It wasn't all complicated. (He had dummy Thai partners. They invested nothing and got nothing from it.) Of course, he's a lazy sod and could never bothered to renew the registration, thus losing both visa and work permit. He didn't buy property though, not wanting to tie up his money.

Archived