Bangkok Phil's Mom and Dad come to town (The Chiang Mai Saga)

Just to prove I do have my knockers, I recieved this e-mail from some rose-colored spectacle wearing hack from the little provinces.

"I came upon your excellent writing style which sadly expressed your crap, 10-minute-experience, self-satisfied views of Chiangmai by accident. Hopefully lightning doesn't strike twice. Much rather hear the views of your Dad, sounds like a nice, reasoned, stable minded, non-judgmental person. Shame it didn't rub off.

Have to say you were right about John at the Britannia (but it's one 't' and two 'n's, dumkopf).

Must be nice hiding your own face on your own photo, mouthing off anonymously on the web to anyone who accidentally stumbles over your graffiti. Did you write on the toilet walls in Wrexham in 1978? Or as recently as last year?

Another thing you got right. Don't come back to Chiangmai within 10 years. Otherwise Mr JJ, Mr Riverside, Ms Royal Princess and the big guy with the Jeep outside might just show you the error of your ways.

Any further comment would be superfluous,

David Hardy,

Good Morning

Chiangmai News.

PS: Do you print readers' letters? Stick this one in - with your own 2-pennath attached of course. Go on! Come out of the closet and show us your balls - or stay in their with your beloved lady boys."

Doesn't say a lot for the Chiang Mai news does it?

Phil,

Did Hardy read your report on this message board, or on your website? If he's a nanaplaza.com board member, I would guess he would not want to acknowledge that.

Is the Chiang Mai News an English or Thai language newspaper?

BTW, I greatly enjoyed all your reports regarding your parents' visit, and consider the Chiang Mai version a good resource for my future trip to CM.

Shotover

quote:

Posted by Shotover

Did Hardy read your report on this message board, or on your website? If he's a nanaplaza.com board member, I would guess he would not want to acknowledge that.

Is the Chiang Mai News an English or Thai language newspaper?

I don't know Shot. I presume he read it from the website. Really not sure about the newspaper either. I didn't see it while I was up there, not even ripped into convenient little squares and hanging in the little room.

Originally posted by shotover:

"Is the Chiang Mai News an English or Thai language newspaper?"

It's one of those freebie little city mags (English) which you find lying out at hotels and restaurants etc. Chiang Mai has about half a dozen of them, and most of them are crappily written and not worth the time. They finace themselves through ads and often write glowing reviews of the places which happen to advertise with them.

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Seems a bit bizarre that someone would get so wound up about bp's tale.

It was hardly controversial and hardly likely to affect the tourist's love of Chiang Mai. Talk to any dickhead backpacker, (one of whose number I once was, altho' I still haven't quite shaken off the dickhead tag), and they will casually drop into the conversation in hushed tones that they're heading up from Bkk to Changers to trek with the hill tribes as if they're going back in time to trek with cavemen.

All Bp did was point out it ain't such a funky place and scams abound like everywhere in LOS.

Archived