Letter from Issaan - Part 4

phoenix

Chiang Khan, 28-12-01

For some reason, Nok keeps insisting at sex at a frequency that drains me. At first, I thought it was her thinking that by keeping me exhausted, I wouldn’t be able to stray. (she’s convinced I am “ Chao Suu“, a philanderer,. Maybe fair enough in BKK, but while travelling in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn’t have a clue where to find an alternative sexpartner, besides, I have no wish for one. While on a once a week visit to the BKK fleshpots, my eye occasionally wanders, but only for the joy of looking, not for wanting. To do anything about it But out here in the sticks, I have no wish at all, I’m more than happy with what I got.

But being woken up in Nong Khai three times between 3.00 am and 8.00 am to perform, is slightly beyond my capacities. I’m 53, sometimes I prefer a warm cuddle to a wild root. Yes, I did oblige, but only just. Now I understand some women’s practice of ‘faking orgasm’.

Anyway, we got up, I picked up email after my shower, while she did her ablutions and extensive bodycare trip. Then, after breakfast, we hit the road. Lovely drive from NK west, along the river. A stop for an early lunch at xxxx, then onwards. Our planned destination was Loeui???.

A mid afternoon at Chiang Khan, late major lunch. I was getting a bit weary with driving, and suggested a guesthouse west of CK, run by a Brit and his thai wife. Hoping to pick up some local knowledge. On driving into CK, she said “ I like it, this is where I want to live”. When we got to Nong Sam guesthouse, we looked around, inspected the cottages. Very basic, little cottage, dble bed, fan, flyscreen , loo outside. Outlook on the mekong, queit, paradise in my view. She didn’t like it at all, didn’t say why, just said “go on to Lui??.

With strong misgivings, I gave way, and drove on. 10 km down the road, I almost thought “ fuck it, this is where I want to stay, I’ll turn around”, but I didn’t. fate kicked in. In driving on , I missed the turn off to Loeui And continued along the river into no-mans land. Half an hour later, we discovered where wwe were going, a place with no accomodation at all, in bandit country. She said “ go on”, I knew better and turned around. Major tantrum. I wanted a bed before nightfall, only option back to CK. She ratnted and sulked.

We got back to the guesthouse at CK. Checked in, and I set down at the riverbank to drink a beer and watch the sunset. Magic moment, paradise. It is nearly full moon, the only sounds are crickets, birds frogs and a far away Molam band. ( now, 9.00 pm the music stopped

Nok came while I was sitting, having my first beer at 6.00, still sulking. I asked “why?, what is wrong?”

I said “we are travelling around to find a place we may want to settle down and live, I could live in aplace like this, run a small tourist guesthouse, you can cook, give massages, I could be happy here”

Her response” You dream, I want reality”

So I asked what was wrong with this place.

“No hot shower, no Tv to watch Thai movie, Loo not in room, you have to come with me every time tonight that I want to pee” (many times)

Me :‘ hang on a moment , just pee on the grass outside, just like at home. We are the only guests here, no worry.”

Nok: “Me scared, not at home here.” Then she proceeded to cut a plastic water bottle, to serve as ‘POTTY’ IN THE ROOM overnight.

I went to the ‘lounge’ of the place, established there was no one else and we could happily sit there and watch her favourite Thai soap. Went back to tell her, but she had gone to sleep in her love nr 1, her car. So I went back to the guest lounge, drank a beer, watched BBC news, read the BKK Post. Got back to the cottage at 8.30 pm, Nok still asleep in the car, got out my laptop, and sat on the porch, with a cigar, beer, and wrote this. Halfway through, she emerged from the car, sunbbed me, and went to bed.

I love Issaan women, but sometimes they’re a pain in the butt!

Reflection: maybe the interests of a 53 yr old falang may be too different from that of a 28 yr old Issan rice farmer. Does this relation have any future??

In the morning, about 5.00 am, she woke me with a clear and direct initiative at wanting sex. So, despite my misgivings ( I just couldn’t resist), we did. Back to sleep. Then, 3 hrs later, same thing. After that , I got up. Had a cold shower, then coffee and falang breakfast at the guest lounge.( No Thai alternative). Came back, Nok was all sweet and OK.

Travelled on, directoin Leui. From there, via the Northern route to Phitsanulok. Slight altercation with Nok. She’d seen the signs showing a possible southern route. I wanted the more scenic northern one. Usual stand-off, both stubborn. I won, because I was driving, talking about wielding power. It’s her car ( be it partly paid by me) but she doesn’t like driving, and I do. Anyway, having chosen the northern way, she loved the landscape, and wanted to come back. Unfortunately, it was close to NY holiday, so the exciting looking places were flooded by local Thai tourists. We’ll come back one day!

Looked at LP guide re hotels in Phitsanulok. The one I stayed in last year was a bit “tired” so I tried “Topside” offer of a luxury room Incl Dinner for two and Bf for 1500 Bt. (NZ $ 85, expensive for rural thailand). Hesitant, but it was NY season, so I agreed . No regrets, good room, good food, and a **** hotel.

Then we went on a “wild balloon chase”

(Well, 'car chase')

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived