The Old Dutch, corner of Soi Cowboy

On my monthly visit to this joint, I decided to order something distinctly Dutch. Don't ask me to remember or pronounce it but it was absolutely magnificent!

A ring of mashed potato with chopped ham, cheese and endive, with some kind of large spicy meatball and a hunk of beef.

With it's liberal attitude to dope amongst a few other things, and now its food - I've decided I could live in a lot worse countries than Holland.

Phil,

No No

Even the dutch will not sing from the moutain tops about their food.

Once you have had the pea soup you have gone through he full gamut of dutch cuisine.when i used to visit Holland on business on a regular basis after the first visit or two of attempting to find typically dutch food to the amazement of my hosts I settled on the excellent indonesian food that is available there

Phil,

This kind of typical dutch food is nowadays not regular on the menu anymore. Also the dutch have gone to the fast food, microwave and italian foods, where the chinese food (take-away chinese) is still around.

The heavy dutch food, like mached patatoes with andive, carrots, 'boerenkool' is mostly reserved for the winter periods, where un-human temperatures of -10 th -20 really do occur.

From the past this was more the food for the heavy workers on the farmlands and in the construction business.

Was back there during songkran and did indeed eat some 'andive' food, but was happy to be back in BKK to eat noodles and seafood.

Archived