Amazing Goals Showcase Thread

ChristianTroy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have to agree with Bibblies about some of the Goals.

the Alonso Goals were good in their own way but as Bibbs says not as good as the Beckham one.

Alonso's Goal against Newcastle was an easy save until the Goalie slipped and the one against Luton was against an unguarded Goal.

Xabi'll score more halfway line goals though. Have you noticed how he's always trying them? I think he's going for the record. He tried one against you lot at Old Trafford, I remember, in what must have been his first game for us. He only just missed...

As a proper Liverpool fan, I hate ManU, of course. But, for some reason I always loved this:

Mark Hughes goal from the 1991 Cup Winners Cup Final v Barcelona

(It's the only clip I could find - his goal starts 40 seconds into it.)

What I loved about it was the way, after he goes so wide of the goalkeeper, with defenders streaming back to cover, that he just whacked it without hesitation so hard from such a narrow angle.

There wasn't even any need to hit it so hard - I think he just did it for the joy of it. :D

999 players out of 1000 in that situation would have paused to steady themselves before picking a shot or a pass or taking it on to improve the angle. And, because it was at quite a tight angle, they would have concentrated on accuracy and been afraid to hit it so hard. They would have bottled it. But he didn't. There was something glorious and special about the way he did it. He stayed true to the glory. :thumbup:

I remember that it looks even better from the angle behind the goal. He's driven so wide and yet knocks it so hard that you can see he nearly knocks himself off his feet.

Just found this:

Clever free kicks

These are really different and inventive and I've only seen 3 of them before (there are about 20). One was Scotland v New Zealand where the Scots pretended to be fighting over who was taking it as part of the trick. Another was the Dutch penalty where it was passed. The last I recognised was the Argentina second against England in World Cup 98.

And, if I may detour again from 'Amazing Goals', this is another of my top 10 brilliant moments in football (seems like half of them aren't goals!)

The first Cameroonian tackle merely makes him hurdle. The second attempted leg-breaker is so bad that he's still trying to regain his balance, twenty metres on, when the third cuts him in two, leaving boots all over the grass. There could have been 3 players sent off for that, not just one! :D

Archived