Travel advice

noman

Just planing my first trip to Manila and AC for 7 nights, (oct) 4 night in Manila and 3 in AC, or maybe 3 nights in Manila and 4 nights in AC. Is there is anything to do and see in daytime, beside the nightlife? (photo opportunity) How is the weather in october?

Any advice please?

Manila? Forget it. Just go straight to Angeles.

Nothing in Manila during the day except the old fort (boring!) and shopping malls.

Manila is one the crappiest cities in Asia IMHO.

A "fly-in, get out asap" city.

Dangerous too.

I got mugged there. Not nice.

This is too funny.

Nothing to do in Manila during the day so go to Angeles instead? That's a good one.

Dangerous? Moo Noi's bad experience aside, I'll note that I've never had any problems here and I've staggered around Ermita and Malate quite drunk at some odd hours. I'd be curious about the details of Moo Noi's mugging. If you care to post them I may be able to advise others on how to avoid similar experiences.

Intramuros is fine for photography, as are some of the churches. Lots of good possibilities for everyday life shots, too.

Not too difficult or expensive to have a driver take you from Manila to this place also (for photo ops, provided the weather is clear):

Taal

Corregidor might be of historical interest too:

Corregidor

Great golf too, if the OP is interested in that.

Like American_Caesar, I have done my share of staggering around Manila over the past 25 years (never lived there). I hear bad stories, but I never had a problem, not one!

The only scary thing I can recall was seeing all the bullet holes in my in-laws' house after the 'people power' revolt. They lived near a military base where shit was going on - it didn't bother them much though.

• 2 weeks later...
Nothing to do in Manila during the day so go to Angeles instead? That's a good one.

Dangerous? Moo Noi's bad experience aside, I'll note that I've never had any problems here and I've staggered around Ermita and Malate quite drunk at some odd hours. I'd be curious about the details of Moo Noi's mugging. If you care to post them I may be able to advise others on how to avoid similar experiences.

Sorry if I sounded offensive in my post, AC. I guess local knowledge makes a huge difference, and I know you have local knowledge. And yes, being mugged definitely had a bearing on my disklike of Manila.

As for what happened, it was years ago when I was a backpacker. I'd just come back from a week on Borocay Island and had a night in Manila before my flight back to Sydney the next day. I wanted to do some shopping.

Being a backpacker, I didn't have any accommodation booked. I got the cab to drop me off in the main backpacker area (is it Ermita? A while ago, so I don't remember exactly, but the main backpacker area anyway) and I was wandering around looking for a pension or guest house. It was about 11.00pm on a Thursday night by this time.

A tout (or what I thought was a tout) came up to me and asked me if I needed a cheap hotel. He was only a young guy - about 19. Being Asia and being a "backpacker who is invincible" I said "yes" and followed him. We took a few twists and turns, and before long I was walking down a dead-end alley when he turned and pulled a knife on me. He pushed me over onto my back (I was wearing my big backpack, so had no chance of running away) and cut my money belt off my waste. (I have never worn one since - you might as well have a sticker saying "mug me" when you wear one of those things!)

I told him he could have the cash and credit cards, but please leave my passport and air ticket. He agreed to that and as he stood up and was about to run off he said "my friends are watching and we'll follow you. Don't go to the police about this or we'll kill you."

So I lost about $300USD and my cards.

Fair enough!

So there I am, 11.00pm in Manila without a cent or credit card to my name.

I realised that as I had my air ticket and passport I could at least get home to Australia.

I got the good ol' Lonely Planet out and looked at the map and proceeded to walk all the way out to the airport. (It took about 3 hours - those slums on the way out there are horrible! I didn't see many that bad even in India!)

Once I thought I was far enough away I stopped at a phone box and collect called and cancelled my credit cards - which hadn't been used yet!

There was a security / army guy on the door at the airport and he didn't want to let me in as my flight wasn't until 7.00pm. (By now, 17 hours away).

I explained my situation and he let me inside.

So I had to wait at Manila Airport for 17 hours without food until I could get on the flight back to Sydney.

The longest 17 hours of my life!

Yes, that's pretty awful, and I'm sorry that happened to you. The walk to the airport must have been exciting, though; I'll have to do that someday. I will note that you don't seem to have been significantly bothered on this epic journey, for what that's worth.

The lesson here--which I'm sure you're already aware of--is never to deal with touts or "friendly" Filipino guys who approach you on the street: they're almost always up to no good. Also, try to have accomodation sorted out in advance. That way you won't be wandering around with all your possessions.

For further info, I'd add that taxi drivers who offer to take you to a "special" hotel or introduce you to a girl shouldn't be trusted. I've never had a problem, but one hears stories. Always meet people you don't know in a public place.

IMO, Filipinos are much better than Thais at scamming. Their friendliness (whether feigned or genuine), ability to speak English, and the fact that they're more cosmopolitan than Thais when dealing with foreigners makes it easy for potential miscreants to lull you into a false sense of security.

Generally speaking, don't hang out with unknown Filipino guys in bars or tourist areas unless you're with Filipino friends--I know, that's not really an option for tourists--who will invariably take it as a point of honor to make sure you're ok.

Again, I don't want to give the impression that Manila is a dangerous place. A few precautions and keeping your wits about you won't stop you from having a great time.

Thanks for the story.

Archived