Royal Asia Lodge Sukhumvit Soi 8

rickfarang

Royal Asia Lodge $30 to $40 per night.

#91 Soi 8 Sukhumvit RD. Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110

Telephone (66) 2251-5514-6

fax (66) 2253-2554; (66) 2253-3541

www.royalasialodge.com

email: reservation@royalasialodge.com

I found that I could get the best price by booking through agoda. This site gives instant indication of availability and instant confirmation.

http://www.agoda.com/

Their web page says that this hotel is on Sukhumvit Soi 8, only a few steps from the Nana skytrain station. More like 500 meters! Other than that, I thought this is a pretty good economy place to stay. Not my favourite, but a close second. The problem of the distance to Sukhumvit was solved by providing a golf cart to shuttle guests between the hotel and Sukhumvit. The longest wait I can recall for the golf cart to complete its run and return to the hotel was about 10 minutes. There is a call bell on Soi 8 near Sukhumvit. Its kind of a pain, having the hotel so far off of Sukhumvit. I found that I did not return to the hotel as often as I do when I stay at the Manhattan, which is only about 30 meters off of Sukhumvit.

The floors of the room are tile and therefore cleaner than most carpeted floors. The beds are ok, except on one stay, one side of the double matters was worn out. I slept on the other side.

In-room massage available starting at 400 Baht for two hours (must start by midnight).

Bottled water in the refrigerator was 30 baht. Sangsom whiskey was 160 baht.

There is a basket of toiletries in the bathroom (shampoo, soap, etc.)

The in-room safe works. The hotel takes responsibility for things put in the safe deposit box in the lobby, but not the safe. The reason is that they cannot control access to the in-room safe.

The air conditioner seems to work pretty well. One time, the air conditioner took the room from 28 degrees to 25 degrees in 10 minutes. By morning, the temperature was under 20 degrees.

The television has both HBO and Star Movies in English. Thatâ??s nice.

Breakfast is not included in the price of the room, but thatâ??s not a problem for me. I take the golf cart to Sukhumvit, turn right onto Sukhumvit and walk a few meters (really only a few) to the escalator to the skytrain station, then walk down the stairs on the other side of Sukhumvit, and wind up right in front of Pasta & Noodles, which offers breakfast until 10:30 A.M.

The room was clean and comfortable, but not the kind of room that I would want to lounge around in for long periods of time. The two English movie channels helps, though.

I stayed there three nights this week with my niece and her friend. Out stay was cut short when a construction crane on Soi 8 broke, taking out power for the whole street (also some power poles and a car). That's when I realized that there are no power failure lights. Fortunately, I packed a flashlight and was able to get my nieces and myself down stairs. Pack a flashlight when you visit.

I talked to a fellow guest one night, and asked him how his room was. He mentioned that a lot of stuff didn't work. I suggested that he could change rooms, but he said that he was only going to be there for one night, so why bother? in January, I stayed there one night while passing through Bangkok (arrive after midnight, check out before noon), and they also gave me a room with several things that weren't working properly. I don't know if I would stay here if only for one night.

Archived