Fish 'N'Fuel Thailand

Torneyboy

My wife was talking to her dad tonight (my in laws live at the Floating markets)...he was saying to her many boats (fishing boats)are not going out due to the cost of fuel and the seafood in the area has increased in cost ....

What else will this impact on in these small communities.....and how to survive?

31 May, Saturday, the end of the month, Thai workers getting paid.

Was in Carre Four on Rama 4 this weekend and the store was about empty! Rama 4 no (little) traffic.

I see the Thais cutting back their spending as the baht just doesn't go far enough for their needs and wants...IMO

No, the "workers" won't see any raise.

Example: my little massage shop...we would like to raise the cost of a massage but then we would lose customers as I would expect the other nearby shops would not raise their rates and thus, absorb "our" customers.

The wet market selling the veggies and meats, people buy 1 1/2 Kg of whatever rather then the 2 Kg they used to buy.

Most everyone just cutting back.

I see a lot of new motorsai on the street, but how many are behind in their payments? the sops selling the new motorsai offer )0% down, just drive away...and many do just that and "forget" to make the payments!

Restaurant prices are going up, mostly for rice they say. Even the "fast food" place in my local market has raised all prices by 5 baht. Before that the price of pork supposedly went up. 5 baht doesn't mean much to me, but it can be to a Thai family of 4 or 5 people. Imported items like butter and cheese are going up regularly.

I get my haircut in an old fashioned Chiang Rai barbershop. Half a dozen big chairs, fully staffed by efficient, cheerful Thai guys.

A hair cut was 50B but I noticed on Tuesday that it had gone up to 60B. the first price rise in 5 years.

Now that's not a problem to me because the guy always gets a 100, but it's reduced his tip by 10B.

Now I'm not suggesting everyone would have tipped 50B, but most would have slung 20, now probably reduced to 10.

Archived