surfing in Phuket

I hear that there are some breaks on the west coast during the monsoon. Has anyone tried it?

[ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: hafsaas ]

Yes in a sea kayak!!!!! Very scary indeed and I've seen some BIG surf. The problem is the rips really vicious I'd estimate they run out at 8 -10 knots and shift unpredictably. Should be fun but check the life insurance. laugh.gif" border="0

The only beach I've done any swimming or body surfing, during the rainy season, was Nai Harn at the Southern end. The surf was 1 - 2+m (3 - 6+ft). I liked Nai Harn because the rip was predictable. The major rip was on the left side facing the ocean and fairly visable.

That was 6 years ago so a lot may have changed.

I wouldn't recommend Karon beach as there is usually a steep drop off formed during the rainy season and the rips are very unpredictable.

Your best bet is to speak with the local dive instructors as some of them surf and all of them know the water.

Folks,

A question from a Newbie who may be in Thailand in late June through the middle of July. Does a beach (swimming, snorkelling) vacation make any sense at that time of the year?

Regards,

David

David,

Depends on where you will be in Thailand.

There is an North-Eastern (November - January)monsoon season and a South-Western (May/June - October/November) monsoon season.

The one you care about is the South-Western which affects the Andaman Sea, Phuket, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta, Krabi, etc. During this time the Gulf is OK, Koh Samui, Koh Pha-Ngan, etc.

Just south of where Club Med is in Kata, you will find a small surf shop run by a Swedish fellow. One of the surf companies (I think Quiksilver) runs an annual surfing contest at that spot in Kata during August or September. During the monsoon season, you will find waves that vary from one foot to overhead. It is a beach break, so it is rather gentle. You won't mistake it for North Shore Oahu but you can have some fun there. The boards the Swede rents were good quality last September. Longboards were the call of the day when I surfed there.

Archived