Motor Bike Third Party Insurance. Property damage cover does exist.

up2you2

First of all let me start off with the story of my friend's son Jim.

He lent his motor bike to a Farang called Peter, who then unfortunately had an accident with a Mercedes.

It then transpires that the owner of the Mercedes then issues a summons for Jim to appear in court, as the motor bike is registered in his name, for 200,000 Baht damages.

The case is settled out of court with Peter settling and handing over 100,000 Baht.

Could someone please confirm that under Thai law, that the registered owner of a motor bike is one hundred percent liable for any physical and property damages ?

If this is the case then for sure third party property and physical cover would be advisable.

First class fully comprehensive cover does not exist for small motor bikes.

The Thai Government have compulsory third party cover, but on closer examination their porlorbor policy is hardly adequate:

50,000 Baht Third Party Liability for injury sanitary health

200,000 Baht for Death, dismemberment, permanent disability

20 Baht a day maximum 20 days loss of work income

Maximum total cover 204,000 Baht

Plus the fact that this Government policy does not cover any property damage to the Third Party.

So after visiting 12 insurance companies I came across two that do in fact offer property damage for small cc motor bikes, The Viriyah Insurance up to a maximum of 400,00 Baht and Thai Sri with a higher maximum if you wish.

I ended up taking the Viriyah Insurance policy which also includes 100,000 for loss of life or physical injury / 10 million Baht maximum, for an annual premium of 1,706 Baht.

Has anyone actually successfully claimed on the Government insurance, and whether or not you have to claim first on it before your private policy kicks in?

Archived