Middle East Season

Guest HonoluluJimmy

I still think it comes down to interpretation and the attitude some bring to religion - its not so long ago that so-called Christians used their narrow interpretation of the Old Testament as an excuse to torture and murder people. Countless novelists have made a lot of money by applying a little 'artistic license' to Revelations and other parts of the Bible, and the result usually involves a massive body count. I dont think Christian fundamentalists hold women in particularly high regard, beyond their role as baby makers, but Islam is an unapologetically male-dominated religion, no question.

I think the point made about Western-educated Arabs has validity, and one of the first things that a new regime inevitably does is to try to crush dissenting intellectuals. Nothing like keeping your population in a perpetual 'Dark Ages' state of mind to maintain a fuedal society.

A perfect example of that would be groups like the Taliban...

Mr. Mohammad, the leader of a local Taliban unit, has taken fancy to the 11 year old daughter of Mr. Faisal. He states his intent at possessing the daughter for his own but Mr. Faisal refuses. A week later Mr. Faisal, despite being the most pious Muslim in the village is brought up on false charges and faces death unless he relents.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived