Getting Your Affairs In Order

zen4dummies

Incorrect.

If Thai Spouse owns her own property before marriage it is Sin Suan Tua, but if she sells said property and uses the proceeds as part payment towards a marital property with her spouse the said Marital property is Sin Somros.

Section 1474 – Sin Somros consists of:

(1) property acquired during marriage;

(2) property acquired by either spouse during marriage through a will or gift made in writing if it is declared by such will or document of gift to be Sin Somros; and

(3) fruits of Sin Suan Tua.

In case of doubt as to whether a property is Sin Somros or not it shall be presumed to be Sin Somros.

If a farang buys a house through his Thai wife and takes back a 30-yr lease from her for a nominal fee, he should still be able to live in the house after the divorce for the duration of the 30-yr lease.

You need to have your paperwork in order, even if your Mrs is a saint. I met a guy whose Mrs had dropped dead of a massive heart attack in her late 30s. His inlaws tried to claim the house as her heirs. Fortunately, he had it covered that he had the right to keep it as long as he lived.

Since marrying a Thai and becoming a part of an immediate and extended Thai family I find myself becoming more serious about my future and their future also. I ran across the attached document and thought others may find it useful. Family_Prep.pdf

zen

Thanks for the links Mekong. My situation is that I have no dependants or children. I have taken on the responsibility of educating my wifes Thai daughter and her adopted son. As they are young teenagers it remains to be seen where that will go. I intend to use the document that I posted only as an aid to my wife when it is needed. If there were to be a divorce, or she were to die before I do the situation would be changed.

When we were married a year ago the only relevant question that I was asked during the interviews was "Is there any propery involved?". I told the interviewer that we only had some furniture and that answered his question. My wife has 3 pieces of property, 2 which I paid half of and the money I paid does not amount to anything.

My reason for posting the document was that I had a concern about her support if I were to die first and since she is half my age she will probably survive me. I know of 3 situations where the supporting spouse died (2 here in Thailand and one in Japan) and there was help needed to get anything out of the estate and in one case she got nothing.

I also have to set up something regarding the dispersal of whatever is left of my IRAs and bank accounts. I have a friend that is probably well-off and is married to a Thai. He intends to leave whatever he has, which from what he has told me is considerable by Thai standards, to his Thai wife in a lump sum. This is not fair to her. I told him that and his response was that he didn't care what happened to the money as he would no longer have a use for it. I do not want to put my wife in this situation.

zen

Archived