Drink Prices In Upmarket Bkk Venues In 2012 ?

gobbledonk

I've tended to avoid the 5-star hotel bars and upmarket discos, but reading some of the 2011/2012 drink prices in Jakarta has my hair standing on end. One guy claims he paid 3million IDR - roughly 330 AUD - for a bottle of vodka in one of the clubs. Beers seem to be in the 10-15 AUD range in many of the venues listed on the site I'm looking at, at a time when our dollar is slightly above parity with the USD. I realise that you are paying for a lot more in terms of decor and the (alleged) quality of the company, but those seem awfully close to Sydney prices to me. Anyone have any recent experience in one or more of the more upmarket venues in BKK ? I may be living in the past thinking a beer in such a place will be under 200 baht .... :eek:

drinks 250-500bt

bottles 2000bt++ mixers extra of course & ice!

cheap charlies may not apply.

just as with food and pussy there's drinks for any budget here why surprised?

200bt as maximum? 555555555555555555555555555555555555555555+

:whatever:

Thanks, I think ....

1. Where did I say 'maximum' when I threw 200 baht beers out in my OP ? I may be a chronic Cheap Charlie, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would baulk at buying my usual 15 beers at 300 baht a pop ....

2. 2000 baht is nowhere near 10.5K baht, which is what 330 AUD comes in at currently. I suspect our friend in Indonesia was either grossly ripped off or trying to beat everyone else in the 'guess how much I paid ?' pissing contest.

Gobbie, you better try it out yourself and come back with a trip report then to blame worldfun for his info!

2000 THB will give you only a mediocre bottle like a Johnnie Walker black label, try something better a blue label, a Single Malt, a Cognac XO or a high end Vodka and the price will go up. Some have a additional cover charge or fee for private room. Additional mixer (ice, sodawater, coke) and snacks. In high end gentleman clubs you pay for the girls sitting with you (something like 200-500 THB per hour) not just for the drinks they are consuming. Some services might be included but some more services might only come with a substantial tip. So a 10k bill is not necessarily bragging; for keeping it below 5k, you will be remembered as a Farang with budget constraints.

enjoy!

10k for a bottle, some privacy and company ? Fine. I wouldn't do it every night, but as an exercise in seeing how the other half lives, 10-15K is doable. My previous one-night record is 20K, but that was an absolutely filthy hangover.

10k for a bottle in a Jakarta club where you struggle to find a table and its so packed and smoky you can neither move nor breathe ? Er, thanks but no thanks. I know its different for the kids - I was young once, believe it or not, but this bar report doesnt tick my boxes. YMMV.

Immigrant Bar Jakarta

Note that review seems to be somewhat dated - 2009 - so the prices could well be even more outrageous. I agree with worldfun that a big city like Bangkok is bound to have venues with outrageous prices, and clientele that can afford those prices on a regular basis without even flinching, but the prices being thrown around in that particular review are so far off those quoted for Hard Rock Cafe and similar venues as to be completely ridiculous. I get that impressing friends with expensive bottles of blue vodka is some folk's idea of a great investment - c'est la vie.

My own Jakarta experience is even more dated - 2004 - but other than the 200K entry fee I thought the drinks were reasonable and the band fantastic. Sadly, our reviewer didnt see it that way in 2009-

Bar with live band full of old prostitutes, a bit more hip-hop than CJ's and Bats. The crowd is more older and less funky than those of Bats and Cj's. Expensive and not really worth it for me but it has many fans both among expatriates and local people. An old favourite of Jakarta's nightlife.

you really do not get it what such entertainment is about! You can stay in your fucked up place and order your whore room service and you will get what they choose for you. Usually the last you would choose yourself.

Or you go as a gentleman to a real gentleman club and are in charge of things and also in charge of your choice of girls sitting next to you. Reject the first walk up of 6-8-10 of the girls and ask for better quality! they will deliver! endulge!

Archived