2 to 1

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That may be true, but taking data over any 100 year period, I think you will find that mother nature does rule in the end. Every statitition (that's you) should know that there will always be blips on the screen in the short term. But the overriding theme throught history will paint the picture that there has always been an approximate 50/50 ratio between women and men. If that ever comes to change, for whatever reason, we're in for some deep shit (or deep kim chee, depending on where you're from). Can you spell 'exstiction'? Or 'balance in nature'? Sometimes numbers just can't tell the story.

Did you know (of course you do) that the average life expectancy for a male in 1889 was something like 26 years old?

I tend to look at the big picture.

db_sed_aloha and HIGH THAIED,

both reasoning seems fair, but you have to also look at micro enviroments. Urban Honolulu city has a population of women 1.2 to 1.0 men, while the rual areas have a population of 1.0 to 1.3 for men in the 25 - 30 age bracket. i know for a fact most urban areas have more women to men ratios, you should check out the recent statistics of women to men in manhatten in nyc in the 25 to 30 age bracket. i know i used to live there and hear the stories from all the single ladies in the office. bangkok also an intense urban area, i can't imagine the ratio, just look when you ride the sky train, i swear all i see are women.........then it could be thats the only thing i want to see.......aloha

"bangkok also an intense urban area, i can't imagine the ratio, just look when you ride the sky train, i swear all i see are women"

You're introduction of micro environments has some validity, but then you go overboard with it. The sky train is hardly representative of Bangkok. Neither is Patpong, NEP, Soi Cowboy, etc.

Regards, JEff

>>>i know for a fact most urban areas have more women to men ratios,<<<

Truth be told, you don't know squat. Nor do I. Unless you have done a door-to-door inspection, you do not know the facts. You are taking what you observe, and translating that into assumptions. Does not make for good science.

Trust me.....pick any broad spectrum group, do the work, and you will see that nature has provided for a 50/50 mix, give or take a few percentage points.

I invite you, or anyone else, to prove me wrong.

Your facts about Honolulu rely on the accuracy of a Honolulu state paid worker to unearth every stone to get at the real numbers. Mistake # 1.........

"I think that you can most likely rely on the 50/50 percentage value for men/women"

actually thats wrong

biologically (for complex reasons) there is a very slightly increased chance of giving birth to a female (something in the region of 50.05% if i can recall med school O/G lectures correctly)

hence on worldwide/national scale there's almost certainly greater numbers of women than men in every single age group (this figure could get warped in the countries that kill newborn girls in preference for males)

so i personally doubt the validity of the data in dbs tables

hansum,

"hence on worldwide/national scale there's almost certainly greater numbers of women than men in every single age group (this figure could get warped in the countries that kill newborn girls in preference for males)"

It could also get warped in the other direction by the tendancy of males to kill each other off. (A testosterone thing?) And I would think that such a tendancy could be aggravated, especially among adolescent and young adult males in search of mates, when there is a shortage of women of reproductive age.

Accurate or not, I think db's numbers are for the most part reasonable. But I'm still wondering what happens to the women in Samoa!

Regards, JEff

HT said :

Truth be told, you don't know squat

HT, I need to know two things about you :

1. Are you really a woman ?

2. Have we ever had a relationship ?

Several of my past relationships have ended with this very phrase - spooky :}

On a more serious note, I am amazed that there are any women left in China at all, at least in rural areas. I dont know much about the penalty for disobeying the one-child policy, but I do know a Chinese girl who is one of three sisters. I suspect that the Zhuang have a stubborn streak. Take that, Beijing !

on the BBC news tonight they ran a clip about american murder rates - they quoted a published statistic:

"in the USA, a man kills his wife/female lover every THREE HOURS" - ie approx 3000 women killed by jilted lovers per year

its getting so bad that one organisation was offering free courses to women to learn how to deal with gun attacks

perhaps this is the explanation for the male-female disparity in the 20-34 age bracket in the US

"It could also get warped in the other direction by the tendancy of males to kill each other off."

good point, also i remember from psychiatry days that suicide was the commonest (or 2nd) cause of male death in the 20-30year old age group

both those figures would tend to push the M:F ratio down though and contradict the 2 to 1 statistic

Archived