Rigging up a microphone

I'm trying to install a mic so I can talk to my pal in Australia on the Yahoo Messenger.

However when I test the system I keep getting the message 'The system is being used by another sound application'

I can't for the life of me figure out what to do. Any help?

Hi!

One possibillity might be that you have a sound application that starts automatically when you start the computer. Most likely it will have an icon on the system tray.

If you find something suspicious kill it from the task manager.

As always when you're not absolutely sure what you're doing make sure that you have backup copies of any important information.

regards

ALHOLK

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

I'm trying to install a mic so I can talk to my pal in Australia on the Yahoo Messenger.

However when I test the system I keep getting the message 'The system is being used by another sound application'

I can't for the life of me figure out what to do. Any help?

Assuming you are using MS Windows: Try right clicking on My Computer and then following Properties->Device Manager to see if there is not a hardware conflict.

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

I'm trying to install a mic..

Mr. Phil,

By "install", do you mean "plug in and use" or are you having trouble getting a microphone software package to function?

The given suggestion of closing unusual looking applications from the Task Manager is a good one. I would suggest that you take it a step further. Use the TM [or Ctrl-Alt-Del] to close all of the running items except for Explorer [which more or less runs the file system interface] and Systray [this is the program responsible for the little yellow enuciator icon in the Systm Tray].

With only those running, launch Sound Recorder or whatever other application you have to record from microphone to a file. Try to record something and play it back. If succesful, you'll have shortened your list of conflict candidates to those you forced-quit.

If not succesful, restart your computer to bring them all back.

Next check Start >> Settings >> Control Panel >> Multimedia Properties under the Audio tab. You'll see two sections, Playback and Recording. Try alternate settings for Recording.

You may also want to have a look under the Devices tab to make sure all seems in order.

Last, make certain that you really have put the micrphone into the Line-In jack of your computer.

2YL

Archived