Buddha's?

Lusty

I think you'll find Lord Buddha in all sorts of poses. In Thai temples though it's very common to have a row of Buddhas for every day of the week or every month of the year (7 or 12 poses, needless to say).

Thai law strictly applied also forbids the export of Buddha figures without permission from the Thai government. That is regardless of if the Buddha statute is antique or mass produced in a factory.

I may be wrong, but I was told when I was moving back to the States that there was a size limit under which the Fine Arts Department that oversees the regulations allows Buddha images to be taken out of Thailand without a permit. Something along the lines of an amulet size.

We had to leave our semi-large Buddha image with my sister-in-law but I wore my amulet of a seated Lord Buddha (not a monk) on the plane. Actually got an approving smile from a customs officer as we got ready for departure. (It's a really nice amulet I received as a wedding present.)

As a matter of practicality, yes -- small images will most likely not be an issue. I have a few amulets myself that I've brought back to Farangland without any problems.

I think the spirit of the law is to prohibit commercializm of the religion but I'm not sure the law make a distinction between sizes of the images....

A few excerpts:

Thai Embassy in LA, USA

Sawasdee Thailand

Ministry of Foreign Affairs (basically the same as the LA Embassy above)

There are four basic postures: standing ,sitting,walking and reclining. King Rama III designed 40 attitudes or Mudras. The seated image Bhumisparsa is the most common with the right hand pointing to the earth.

There is the Vitarkha Mudra which is standing with the thumb and forefinger in a circle representing the 'Wheel of Law" This one symboloizes Buddha's first sermon

There is the Dyhana Mudra which is the seated one with hands folded on lap. Signifying meditation.

The Abhaya Mudra standing with the right hand raised signifying reassurance and protection to believers.

Also standing with both hands raised palms forward representing the calming of waters.

The reclining Buddha which represents death and his achievment of Nirvana.

LL

Thai law strictly applied also forbids the export of Buddha figures without permission from the Thai government. That is regardless of if the Buddha statute is antique or mass produced in a factory

I've been going for the 6" high ones.No trouble via the airport xray macine as yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting.. because I carried a decent size brass one out in my luggage and shipped a big wooden one out. No issues whatsoever...

Archived