Monk takes a vacation

MaiLuk

I live in a tourist town in the U.S. Today from a distance i saw an asian family (too far away to say if they were thai), and in the middle of the group was a bald headed man with a long orange robe!

Monks lead a difficult life: they have to perform Bangkasun (burning the dead) at the temple, while living at the temple - you thought they only burned nice smelling incense? Have to study the life of the Buddha; get thru the ordination procedure and take vows such as refraining from unchaste conduct (i failed already), no sleeping in large or high beds ::, and no dancing or going to

see entertainments. :(

And learning and practicing daily meditation is no piece of cake. Monks don?t have it easy.

So why not take a vacation?

but sure they get a lot more respect here !

--------------------------

you mean, in farangland? why? ::

there is also a bit of politics going on with monks in farangland. They may start to drive cars (just an example), some patthais (thai expats) frown on it, some not, and soon you have 2 thai temples in the region. One for driving monks, and one for driven monks :D.

That's what happened in Berkeley. Usually the westernized monks belong to the most commercialized or endowed temple, IME.

And learning and practicing daily meditation is no piece of cake

---------------------

Monkhood was less and less based on meditation, but reciting the texts over and over again, and duties around and outside the temples.

It seems that there is a resurgence of the practice of meditation, but this is a movement that actually involves the laicity, and the monks followed by these people.

The Sangha act of 1903 made pretty much the religion at the service of the secular powers.

Over the following decades, thru this day, endowing a temple, building one, basically funding with cash was deemed more meritorious than the practice of meditation, a sure sign of materialism not going too well with the basic tenets of the Good Buddha's Word.

Archived