New Zoning/Early Closure Thread

Interesting point made about the young people who work night jobs. Will mom or dad have to take them to work at 7-11 on the late shift?

Oh well the 'smart card' is in the wings so I guess they will know everything about everyone. Oh and BTW , there will be the farang equivilent coming out as well ...... the 'not so smart card' and the 'really dumb card'.

I already qualify for the last one ::

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Midnight curfew rule postponed for further review

Published on Mar 1, 2004

BANGKOK, March 1 (The Nation) -- Thai night entertainment establishments operators have won a reprieve from a government plan to impose a midnight curfew, according to government official.

Last month the Cabinet approved a regulation that will close all venues outside specified entertainment zones, including bars, clubs, restaurants and massage parlors, at midnight instead of 2 a.m. in its campaign to curb youth crime and restore traditional values.

Today, the government appeared to backtrack on its plan, saying it was still open to review.

The Cabinet will reconsider this matter during its meeting on tomorrow, government spokeswoman Sansanee Nakphong said.

What is now clear is that nothing is still clear.

Basically we are still waiting to see what will happen.

There are a number of mixed messages coming out from various news sources quoting named or unnamed govt sources.

I think celebrations that the status quo will be preserved are still at this stage premature.

(Can we close one of these threads plz!)

Anyways the Nation has been pretty spot on up to now with its "sources" so I tend to realise that what they put out tends to happen. I think this whole charade is heading towards the scrap heap, they may make some changes somewhere to save face, but I would doubt whatever they do will have a significant long term effect on the Farang tourist.

This is now the 2nd time this concept has been stalled/stopped.

BANGKOK (Reuters) - The Thai government looks ready to back off its plan to curtail the country's lively nightlife and notorious sex industry, officials say.

On the day the nightclubs, bars, discos and massage parlours were due to have their opening hours shortened, the officials said the cabinet would be given a new proposal on Tuesday which would allow existing institutions to open and close without change.

"The new regulations will not have retroactive impact or hurt existing bars," Vichien Chavalit, an Interior Ministry official who helped draft the rules, told Reuters.

They would be applied only to new ones, officials said.

"We forwarded the draft to the cabinet a while ago. If the cabinet discusses and approves it tomorrow, it will become effective by March 15," Vichien said.

Under the plan due to go into effect on Monday , massage parlours -- previously allowed to operate 12 hours a day and close by midnight -- would have been restricted to opening just eight hours a day and close at midnight.

Discos, nightclubs, go-go bars and massage parlours in specially designated zones would have been allowed to operate for seven hours a day.

Some would have been allowed to stay open until 1 a.m. and the rest would close by 2 a.m. -- the current limit.

Those outside the zones would have been able to open only three to six hours a day and should shut their doors at midnight.

The new draft was to be discussed by the cabinet on Tuesday and the plan was for the rules to become effective by mid-March, officials said.

The original cabinet decision had enraged club owners who said hundreds of thousands of jobs would be threatened and had lobbied the government publicly and privately to reverse it.

Bar owners, who had complained the regulations threatened to drive them into bankruptcy, now told Reuters they were satisfied with the government compromises.

"We've talked to senior people in the government and they have assured us that existing bars will operate as usual," said Somyot Suthangkool, owner of a popular Bangkok nightclub and chairman of an industry body with 50,000 members.

"Only the new bars will have to follow the new rules," said Somyot, who complained last month millions of waiters and singers would lose their jobs if the regulations took effect.

But some operators said the distinction between existing and new bars was likely to offer opportunities to corrupt officials.

"How could police officers keep track of all bars in their districts," asked Chuwit Kamolvisit, who owns six upscale massage parlours in Bangkok and has alleged publicly he paid $300,000 (160,000 pounds) a month in bribes to senior policemen.

"The new massage parlour owners will have to bribe officers to have operating hours the same as their rivals," he said.

--Reuters 2003-03-01

(Told everyone so, but most kept squeeking that the sky was falling..) This is Thailand remember.. Laws CAN be proposed with big fanfare to be enforced a scarce 4 weeks later, only to be effectively cancelled a day before with some face saving blurb. This type of law-making and governance would be funny if it wasn't so sad. What else is new.<<<

yes, and please do you also remember that this is thailand - a place where campaigns are ordered and occasionally gone through with utmost efficiency and utter brutality.

last year we had the drugwar, which was such a case. and just because it did not affect the lives of the average farang here does not mean that it did not happen. it did, and left thousands of corpses.

The sky must be falling because I keep finding myself agreeing with FlyW. Seriously, I do think FlyW is absolutely right on this one. Zorro summed it up best:
What is now clear is that nothing is still clear.

Basically we are still waiting to see what will happen.

There are a number of mixed messages coming out from various news sources quoting named or unnamed govt sources.

I think celebrations that the status quo will be preserved are still at this stage premature.

Chanchao might ultimately turn out to be right (I hope he is), but I wouldn't uncork the champagne just yet and I do think the 'chicken little' allusion is off the mark. There is enough smoke here for legitimate concern.

<Chanchao might ultimately turn out to be right (I hope he is), but I wouldn't uncork the champagne just yet and I do think the 'chicken little' allusion is off the mark. There is enough smoke here for legitimate concern.>

And the problems remain. Youth crime and Thailand's reputation. Closing bars early may not be the answer but these are still serious matters for many Thais.

>>>The sky must be falling because I keep finding myself agreeing with FlyW.<<<

you must have been to long in thailand. that's a sure sign. ;)

Archived