New Zoning/Early Closure Thread

[color:"red"] [/color] "7. If the zoning goes through, expect the properties to skyrocket upwards around the zone. They expect the outer areas of Bangkok to die off in the next three years. More and more people will be attracted to living in areas around the zones. " [color:"red"] [/color]

The acquisition of available property surrounding these areas was agressively persued starting about 2 YEARS AGO. I have personal knowledge of this that is 100% accurate.

Who do you think might have been the buyer of these properties??I 'll give you ONE guess. :shhh:

Gee I feel like big brother is watching Its all very Orwellian. ::

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 15 years ago, there was a new law enacted which was to ban Tuk-Tuks in Bangkok.

As the date approached, the Tuk-Tuk drivers understandably became very worried and organised protests. The government did not appear to move on their stance at all. The date passed. Nothing happened. Shortly after, the government announced that the proposed regulations had been misunderstood and in fact the law only prohibited new licences being issued. The authorities wondered what all the fuss had been about, drivers could even sell and transfer licences quite legally. It was just that the total number in circulation was not allowed to increase, and in fact the Tuk-Tuk numbers declined anyway without any ban.

Let's see if the same happens this time...

Good post Showtime. This is as I understand it also.

As of last night Luphini and Thonglo police have recieved no instructions.

The zoning regulations were passed as law and went to the King several months ago for signature ( I was not asware, however, that he had signed them into law. The current closing mandates (Plan B) are Ministerial Regulations (not sure if this is the correct term...but with less force of law and more ammeniable to adjustment) which were issued byt the Interior Ministry inside the framework of the zoning laws after the government recieved strong opposition to their plans to close everything in Thailand somewhere after 10PM and before 12PM (Plan A). This means that the zones may difficult to play with but the closing times may be more subject to public pressure.

However, I am unsure as to a couple things. First, I thought the zoining laws specified 6AM closings. Second, was there a vehicle in the zoning laws for adding, or eliminating , Entertainment zones without changing the laws?

my understanding is that the PM and Cabinet may enact 'Acts' as long as they don't contravene 'Laws' which are passed by Parliament and then given Royal decree. Neither of which may contravene the 'Constitution'.

Everyone clear now.

So the 'Laws' defining the 'zones' are old news, as are the 'zones'...except where they have not been declared yet.

The open/closing times are 'Acts' by the gov't in power subject to the above rules. They may be changed, ammended, or eliminated/enforced without further adieu. Unless of course someone launches a 'Legal' or 'Constitutional' challenge to aforesaid 'Acts'

I think this was the inference the Mayor of Pattaya alluded to.

However, I am unsure as to a couple things. First, I thought the zoining laws specified 6AM closings. Second, was there a vehicle in the zoning laws for adding, or eliminating , Entertainment zones without changing the laws?

From the research I have been able to do (and it is certainly not all encompassing) it would appear that the 'Zones' are a law and thus pretty much unchangable. I have not found anything to suggest that that law included any 'open/close time' impositions.

The time thing and the categories/disco/pub/bar etc are... to to best I have found, to be Acts pertaining to 'service areas' or sathaan bawrikaan or as you say Ministerial regulations. So they certainly can be very flexable. The reason I know some of this is that 2 years ago it was explained to be by a prominent Thai bar owner who has holdings in Chiang Mai and said that the end was near for his operations as CM did not get an Entertainment zone.

Well it is Thursday 27 February 2004 in Bangkok. D-Day, or perhaps not D-Day, happens on Monday. Leaving nothing to chance, I am going to take advantage of this weekend.

Incidentally, any news on Pattaya?

Gadfly1 said:

Incidentally, any news on Pattaya?

This from today's Pattaya Mail:

The zone boundaries are as previously outlined in the Pattaya Mail (issue 26, July 29, 2001), and are as follows: the areas on and around Beach Road, 2nd and 3rd Roads from North Pattaya through to Bali High Point in South Pattaya to be classified as an entertainment business zone. The boundaries of this zone would be the beach on one side, through to and including up to 50 meters west (towards the beach) of 3rd Road. The northern boundary of this zone would start 50 meters south of North Pattaya Road from the Dolphin Roundabout up to 3rd Road and in the Naklua area would be 100 meters to the west (ocean side) of Pattaya-Naklua Road through to 50 meters on the other side of Pattaya-Naklua Road from Dolphin Roundabout to Soi 13 (Wongamat). Entertainment businesses would be allowed to operate inside this 150 meter wide stretch of land.

So now we know - no change for most of Pattaya! :beer::applause:

Archived